Friday, December 5, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Clean Up, Wrap Up, Start Up!

In cleaning up mode, I cut down all the scraps from backing, leftover bits I saved until a top was finished, and large scraps from a bag of saved fabric.  Most of these were easy rectangles or strips, so not hard to cut down.  The challenge with garment scraps is always the curves and angles!
 In the wrap up stage, I finished the Assistant's quilt top and even basted it.  Maybe (maybe) I'll get it quilted next week.  I wanted to skip the borders, but both the Assistant and DH thought it needed something.  I think if they were the ones who had to puzzle out borders from the scraps, they would have wanted to pass too, but it's done now!  The borders made the quilt almost too big for my backing (I have maybe an 1" to spare total between the two size), but I think I'll manage.
In the start up, I have been sorting scraps from my Scraps to Treasures fabrics of the past three years (I didn't participate this year, and now they've shut down the HGTV message boards, so I guess that's it for me!).  My current plan is to create a rainbow scrappy quilt that I can donate to my altar society guild for raising money to feed the needy.  Since the original Scraps to Treasures quilts were supposed to be donated to charity (and they were), I think it will be nice to use up the scraps for one more quilt.

As I start the quilt on my (now empty) design wall, I'll take a picture or two to share.

Be sure to stop by the Rainbow Scrap Challenge each Saturday for more goodies!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

scraphappy said...

Great progress. Cleaning up at the end of quilts is such a nice way to start thinking about the next one. Looks like you already have a plan for next year.

Nell's Quilts said...

Great finish to the assistant's teacher quilt. What a great way to clean up after a quilt is done. I usually just fold up the scraps but cutting them into usable sizes would definitely give a leg up to next year's scrappy challenge.

Deb A said...

I wish I was that organized... I'm always in too much of a hurry to start something new to clean up first =). Hmmmm now I know where my kids get it from! Good luck with your quilting.

Cathy said...

Assistant's quilt is looking good! I think it would have looked good w/o the border too.

Clean up??? Hmmmm.

Miss G must be a very good baby for you to get so much accomplished.

Kate said...

The Assisstant's quilt looks great. I've learned that when you ask your family for their opinion on something it usually results in additional work for me, but that final border does really tie the top together.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...