Saturday, January 31, 2015

Finished: Map Bag

We have a stack of road atlases for the surrounding states and have always left them in the back of our van as, if we take them out, we inevitably forget to bring them on trips.  For the last few years, a red plastic bag has sufficed as a carrying case, but in a sick-in-in-the-car episode over Christmas break (I'll spare you the details), the bag was used.

I told myself I should make a map bag, then mocked myself.  I don't need another project on my growing to-do list!  When Vicki proposed her UFO challenge, I decided to add the map bag to my list and ignore it for a while.  After letting the idea percolate (lots of ideas percolate while I'm holding the baby and can't sew), I decided I would get out one of my little stacks of coordinated fabrics remaining from a challenge and use up what I could.  Sure, I could have simply cut up the fabrics into scraps, but there were some larger prints and awkward sizes that I was loathe to cut unnecessarily.  Also, these are not treasured fabrics that I would fear to get dirty.

The maths involved in piecing together disparate scraps into a cohesive piece of fabric always keep me cutting even when I should be done.

It is properly rectangular, but I should have removed the atlas inside before taking a picture!

I quilted the outside to some some scrap batting and whipped out the bag in record time last Sunday.  I've been waiting to find my camera before loading the bag in the back of the car.

Only one pile of coordinated scraps remains, and then I can remove that from my project list!  I have a plan for what remains after tearing apart the sewn bits and cutting them down for scraps.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Sounds like a great way to use up some of those scraps.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...