Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Little Bit of This...

... a little bit of that.

I will get on board with the color of the month, just not quite yet!

Since I didn't know what color we would have, I grabbed the first stack of 2.5" squares in my box of Carrie Nation bits.  It happened to be bright/light green, so all the large four patches are done (and pressed!) for those.  There are 13 colors to make this quilt queen-sized, and the wedding is in June, so I'll be sewing at least two sets of blocks this month, probably the turquoise and maybe the dark blue.  So far, so good!
I sewed up all my blue triangles in November and apparently haven't created any more yet, so I blindly selected a random assortment of triangles from the bag and sorted into bits for my Omigoshish quilt (I need a new name for it, since I'll be departing from the Omigosh quilt).  Here's the result.
 I also sewed lots of bitty triangles, which are pressed and awaiting trimming.

My 9s and 6s quilt is finally finished!

These 16 patches are intriguing me more with every batch.  Here are my grey-blues, which ended a bit muddled as a friendly little soul named JoJo helped sort them onto the floor not long ago.  I love them anyway, and I'll surely get my fix this month as I'll be adding my aquas to the collection.
 From the chevron prep squares I sewed in November, I assembled this baby quilt.  We have friends expecting a boy in March, and I haven't done a lick of sewing, so now I'm ready to quilt.  I even found the Simply Color ombre in blue in my stash, so the backing is ready and the batting pieced.  Here's to a quick first finish for the year!
 A few bits are sewn together for my Rainbow Star.  The hardest part on this quilt will be keeping all the squares and triangles in order (without JoJo rearranging them).
Speaking of JoJo, since you've heard plenty about him in my posts, he nearly lit the house on fire on Wednesday.  I was grocery shopping and DH was home when JoJo filled the toaster oven with hot pads, plugged it in (foiled again!), and turned it on, then left the room.  The smoke alarm alerted James to an emergency, and only the toaster oven and contents were destroyed.  We were fortunate.  Now I have to consider what to do about this precocious child who silently leaves the room when you blink.  The toasty smell in the house is finally fading, and the kitchen looks cleaner with the empty counter space!

Be sure to check out the other Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects this weekend.  I'm looking forward to plenty of new inspiration.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

12 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

whoa - maybe put a bell on JoJo? I am glad everything was safe!

Have fun with your blues!

make.share.give said...

We had a toaster oven incident many years ago- just crumbs caught on fire, but it took a long time until Colton would let me make toast. Love the chevron!

Kate said...

Glad that everyone is OK. Thank goodness for smoke detectors! I'm with Alycia, a bell maybe?

I like all your scrappy projects. The Chevron quilt is going to make a beautiful baby quilt.

Happy Stitching!

Nell's Quilts said...

Oh my. I'm glad everyone is okay. You can always replace things but not people. That baby quilt will be so beautiful. I love the ombre blue for the backing.

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, he is a handful! Scientist at work!

Scrappy quilter said...

Glad everyone is safe. Great job on the blues.

Sally Trude said...

Glad as is well! And ahem...we're just making blue BLOCKS as this stage not entire blue quilts. :)

Cathy said...

I was going to say you are off to a good start already this year...and then I read about JoJo and the toaster oven! Yikes! Glad all are okay.

Deb A said...

Oh no! Mine just got the sharp knives and never plugged anything in! He needs a bell.
Love the baby quilt... what a great idea. Might have to steal it =)

Ellen said...

You are off to a great start this year! The baby quilt looks great!

scraphappy said...

Off to a great scrappy start already! Scary JoJo story. Accidents can happen SO fast. Glad nobody was hurt.

Sheila said...

Beautiful scrappy projects.
Wow. Glad everyone is okay.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...