Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Finished: 9s and 6s

One last finish will round out the old year for me.  Yesterday, we had a busy day planned with furniture moving, medical appointments, grocery shopping, and more, but some unexpected ice and flurries turned our roads into sheets of glass, so I spent the day at home instead.  Spunky and I enjoyed a marathon of Pride and Prejudice while we took turns holding Miss G and I stitched down the binding to Spunky's teacher quilt.

I call the blocks 9s and 6s as, when I started them two years ago, I didn't see a name for them anywhere.  Bonnie Hunter has since called them Carolina Chains, but I like 9s and 6s better.

These blocks were part of the 2013 and 2014 Rainbow Scrap Challenges and used my brown, orange, yellow, and red 2" scraps.  I had plans for a thin white border and a final row of blocks at one point, but having a baby and wanting to gift this quilt during the Christmas season encouraged me to reconsider.  I quilted it simply through the diagonal rows (except for the one block I found turned after I'd already basted the top!) and bound it in one Vicki Welsh's fabulous gradients.  I have a box just for my Vicki Welsh fabrics, and that box is a happy place.  The quilt finished at approximately 47" x 56".  I think it will be a nice couch size, and I certainly hope Spunky's teacher loves it!

A few of my reds (ones I had already washed, of all things) ran, but a second run through the washer seemed to take care of the worst of it.  The above picture shows before the second washing, so much of the background looks pink.  I remember now why I don't have lots of red fabrics!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

It's a very pretty quilt!

Kate said...

It's a beautiful quilt! I love the way the colors march across the quilt. Congrats on the finish.

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...