Saturday, November 24, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Dithering

With last weekend ending in a funeral and long drive, rolling right into a week off for the kids, I’ve definitely lost my regular routine.

I did finish Positivity, wash it without incident, and dry it.  The Assistant is pleased with the outcome.  Although she thinks it’s a little small, it looks just right to me!  It will be a teacher quilt gift, and as I can never presume to know one's decorating scheme, it's easier to make a lap quilt than a bed quilt they can't/won't want to use.


Instead of regular block construction this week, my dithering centered around attempting to follow a poorly written Simplicity for a new purse/tote bag and some inside bags to keep my purse more organized.  All the diaper supplies can be in one pouch, all my change and envelopes for cash in another, band-aids and lipgloss in another.  The bag is a little small and flimsy, but I have some ideas about that, and it will serve for now.  Eventually, I won’t have anyone in diapers, and having the inner pouches means I can remove such things when I don’t need them.  Three pouches and one purse later, I’m fixed up.

Finally, on Friday, after procrastinating, I basted my churn dash quilt.  I can see some of the purple blocks are slightly larger than the other blocks, but it will be okay in the end.  I’ll just be careful about my quilting.  The backing is a geode from Vicki Welsh.  It was the perfect width!

My biggest bit of quilty news this week is a rather large, expensive purchase.  I ordered a Juki sewing machine, as I’ve been saving up for one for quite a while.  It’s going to be a slight learning curve, but I keep reading directions and trying again.  I’ve never had automatic anything, so cutting the thread between pieces has been fun.  Unfortunately, the 1/4” foot was out of stock, so I’m making do with painters tape for now, but I found one in stock last night, so it's ordered already.

I’m looking forward to quilting on it for the first time next week!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Each Saturday, I link up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I invite you to enjoy the glorious rainbows too!



8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on completing Positivity and getting the Churn Dash quilt basted. Best of luck with learning the ins and outs of your new Juki sewing machine. Enjoy!!

Laura said...

I also have a new Juki, and I really like it! I've quilted a couple of projects on it now, and it sews beautifully. The only troubles that I have had so far, are all from human error. Mine. Ha, ha!

Jennifer said...

i love your churn dash quilt- it's one of my favorite blocks! let me know how you like your juki! i love my bernina, but i've heard taht juki's sew really fast!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

How exciting to get a new sewing machine! Hope you have fun playing and learning on it! I really like Positivity - such great blocks in any color.

Lori said...

Enjoy your new Juki, my friend Liz love hers!

Kate said...

Enjoy your new machine! You've been moving along on the projects, even with the changes in schedules. The churn dash quilt looks great and so does the plus project. Hope you get in some good stitching time the rest of the weekend.

scraphappy said...

A new sewing machine is sew exciting! Best of luck figuring out all its new tricks and features. Hopefully it will work great once you get used to it.

June D said...

Your Positivity RSC quilt is brilliant! A+! What fun that you are getting a new machine. Thanks for sharing.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...