Saturday, May 22, 2010

Garden Progress

The garlic, onions, peas, and lettuce are doing well. The garlic is growing much better than last year, fortunately. The lettuce and spinach are not nearly as productive as last year, but as no one but me seems willing to eat it most of the time, I guess I can't complain. There are only so many salads I can eat.



The turnips have (finally) been thinned. Some are already trying to set seed, although I don't know why. Maybe it's the insane weather - hot, cold, rainy, windy, dry - it's supposed to be 90 today!
The corn, sunflowers, beans, and cucurbits are growing. I finally planted the last beans today.

My tomatoes haven't been killed yet, but the heat today just my cook my goose. The first time my mom planted for me this year, only 6 of the 20 plants we put in survived. Luckily, I grew lots of extras, so I replanted last week. So far, so good.

The horseradish, after 3 years in the ground, is only now beginning to become an invasive weed. Maybe I should dig some of it up and make my own horseradish sauce. Yum, horseradish.

We've picked over 3 pounds of strawberries so far, with plenty more coming. There might even be a handful of blueberries this year.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

No comments:

Progress

I sorted and cut my pink scraps this week, since the machine is busy.  I also finished, before the quilting started, 147 yellow 16 patches! ...