Friday, April 19, 2013

Green with Envy

...I'm feeling pretty good about my life right now, so at least not too green with envy currently!  We've had much needed rain, the temperatures seem to be rising, and the garden is sprouting!

In sewing news, there's been much movement of green scraps.  Unfortunately, in the process, I created more.  

There are several new spools.   For some reason, I want to call them bow ties, although they are clearly spools.  I wonder why?


The 240 four-patches and half-square triangles (240 of each) are done.  There are still still half-square triangles in need of trimming, but the worst is over.  As you can see from the picture, some of my half-square triangles were pieced from green scraps.  This made it possible for me to use up most of my 1", 1.5" and 2.5" scraps in addition to all the 2" scraps cut up for the four-patches.



Unfortunately, I decided I should also piece the back.  While this alone is not unfortunate, the amount of green scraps being produced IS!  I will end the month with plenty of green scraps still, but at least they will be new!  I have been cutting new spools from the scraps too, so although I'm almost through the green spools I cut at the beginning of the month, I think I've found another 10 or more to sew up!

Since this quilt is going to be a birthday gift for a little girl early in May, I need to hustle to get this quilt done.  I'm not sure it will be a top by the end of April, but I am actively sewing 1/2 blocks while I finish up trimming.  I'm looking forward to putting the blocks together, as I am uncertain as to whether all the different greens (the whole gamut) will play nicely together.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

9 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Funny how we make scraps by trying to use our scraps. Your spools look great!

Julierose said...

This little spool quilt is so cute--loving all the greens..she will just love it! Hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

I always love spools. I also love that they are so easy and pile up quickly. I've made some too. I think they look a lot like bow ties when on their side. And, some people see them as butterflies.

Sheila said...

I love your sweet little spools. I guess they could be called bow ties if you use plaids and polka dot fabrics. Maybe guy friendly fabrics? I don't know.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

So pretty! I agree that it is hard to keep up with scraps but I love them.

Edith said...

Nice use of your green scraps.

Deb A said...

The spools on their sides remind me of bow ties too! They will make a lovely top.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's all good...you've got a great system going and quilt blocks being made!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great spool blocks you have. Good luck getting the quilt done for May.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...