Saturday, April 4, 2015

Purple People Eaters...

It was a busy week (again? as usual? will I ever grow accustomed?), so I'm pleasantly surprised at my progress in purples.

Last month, I fought to keep my scraps properly trimmed as I created them over the weeks.  This paid off in a big way when it took me less than five minutes to strip down the remaining bits and put everything in its correct storage container!

Then I pulled out my purple triangles, trimmed and sorted.  I was impressed at how many there were, as I must like to bind quilts in purple.  I was also intrigued by the "flatness" of the remaining triangles, predominately in green, red, and orange.  Six lovely triangle blocks are now completed.


My friend and I have completed the top and backing for her wedding quilt (a giant rainbow Carrie Nation quilt).  I finished piecing the batting yesterday evening, and the next time we meet up, the basting pins will come out!

My 1.5" purples are hacked up into pieces for my 16 patches, triangles are lined up for my Bits and Bobs, and I even cut the 1" strips for my tiny nine patches.  I find I like to cut all in one go at the beginning of the month, as my sewing time comes in fits and starts, so now I have plenty to occupy my fingers in my free moments.

I cut most of a new quilt as well.  I bought a lovely print and coordinates a few months ago, then couldn't decided what to do with them.  I knew I wanted a lap quilt for my mother-in-law, but was afraid to "ruin" my fabric!  Finally, after running some numbers (over and over and over) in my head, I forged ahead with cutting and hope to have a finished top by the end of April.

There should be an overflow of purple inspiration over at the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Great progress. Great job on finishing the quilt. Would love to see it!

scraphappy said...

I like to do power cutting at the beginning of the month too -- it does make it easier to squeeze a few seams in during the odd moments. Great start to a new month!

Julierose said...

your purples are lovely. And isn't it nice that you have gotten so organized? I am trying to put away and cut bits and bobs as I go now. Much easier to find anything --though it is time consuming work...hugs, Julierose

Angie said...

You're so right - organization and lots of prep work are the keys to making the most of stolen quilting moments during the day!

LA Paylor said...

lol hacked up!
just throwin' these things together into something cool... LeeAnna

Deb A said...

What a great job you have done with the purples already this month. Having things ready to go allows progress in those little bits of time you get around the kids.

Sheila said...

Looking forward to seeing your quilt come together.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...