Saturday, June 24, 2017

Absence of Amber

Seriously... Next year, I need plans for a ridiculously yellow quilt so I can make more yellow scraps!

My hourglass blocks were done as leader-enders for my flying geese quilt, so they went quickly.  In fact, they went so quickly I started on my Barn Dance blocks, and knocked those out in no time.
 That left me with nothing to sew in between sewing together pieces of my quilt.  I pulled out my Bits and Bobs strips, puzzled together what 9-patches I already had, and cut down 2" strips to make the last of my 9-patches.
See this puzzle above?  I can only sew a seam at a time before I need to stop and press, so there are lots and lots of leader-ender opportunities!  I have the left half assembled and am working on the right half.  My hope is to have it to flimsy stage by the end of the month, but since we have a trip to Kansas City next week for three days, I'm not sure I'll make it.  (The pattern is Remixed Flying Geese by Robert Kauffman.)  I used a lovely new triangles ruler for lefties.  If you're a leftie, you should get one!

Yes, yes, it's not yellow.  I told you I have a problem with a dearth of yellow scraps.  (I did use all stash and scraps, so that counts for something.) I am almost finished with a weighted blanket for my sister, out of yellow fabric, so that will contribute a few scraps.  I'll try to do better in July at matching the color.  I won't be traveling, but the big kids will be going to Ireland with my husband, so I will have a week of sewing my brains out with the littles!

Check out the yellow scraps this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Too bad if it isn't yellow--your Flying Geese quilt looks amazing!

Nell's Quilts said...

Those geese are on a collision course - hope they're flying at different elevations. Seriously this is going to be an amazing quilt. I think we all have one or two colours that are almost devoid of scraps - mine is teal. I have even resorted to begging friends for scraps or buying a fat quarter or two to make the necessary blocks for the month.

Deb A said...

My goodness - you all are just go, go , go this summer! A trip to Ireland - so beautiful over there. Hope the littles allow some sewing time. Your flying geese are coming along great. Holler if you need some yellow sent your way =)

Chantal said...

As long as you are having fun in your sewing room, does the color really matters? Really? I know, I know, it isn't exactly RSC but it's still scraps and it's still inspiring so great job. Love the remixed geese. ;^)

Alison V. said...

Those blue flying geese are just fabulous. I seemed to have quite a bit of yellow scraps, but a few months back I didn't have hardly any purple to work with (or rather, all of my pieces of purple were too small for my house block project), so I understand! Scrappy progress is still progress. :)

Quilter Kathy said...

I adore that flying geese project... it's gorgeous!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You managed a few YELLOW scrap blocks. If that's all you've got, so be it. That Remixed Geese quilt is moving along SEW quickly!! Looks like a fun project. Enjoy!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your blocks and the flying geese! And THANKS for the shout-out on my new ruler - I'm SO glad you like it!! - ;))

Angie said...

Who cares what color? The Remixed Flying Geese blocks are stunning!

Cathy said...

Love the Remixed Geese! I bookmarked that pattern a long time ago and forgot about it.

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, I love remixed geese!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...