Saturday, November 11, 2017

Relief

After two days of soaking, rinsing, and soaking, Barn Dance has emerged from the waters refreshed and relatively extra-dye free.  Whew!  I can see a little staining on the two previously tan blocks, but since the staining on the yellows came out, and my family was clamoring for me to free up the bathtub, I’m claiming victory.

It's a pared down rendition of Barn Dance by Denise Russart, made with hand dyes by Vicki Welsh.  And, fear not, the blue background that bled like a stuck pig was NOT by Vicki, but a batik from Hancocks of Paducah.  Not a single one of her fabrics bled, and they are so lovely to sew with.  I used Vicki's tutorial to work on the bleeding, and as I said above, it was great!


My mini nines are quilted but not yet bound, so I’ll save their reveal for next week.  Loops are a nice change from meandering while still being different.

After replacing our fridge and learning that our truck was totaled, of course that meant a chip in our van windshield exploded into an enormous crack with the arrival of fluctuating temperatures. (Cue hysterical laughter.) SafeLite Auto was, yet again, fabulous, and my new windshield is so clean!  I really like having an emergency fund when we have months like this.


My scrappy sewing has been in teal and lime green this week as I’ve been stitching letters for a cousin’s new baby.  Since I was in the mood for starting projects, I also started and finished a weighted blanket and cut the pieces for another apron.

My darks didn't get a chance to play this week, but they are so patiently waiting next to the machine.  Check out other dark projects or almost-finished lovelies this weekend.  Today is about in-laws, but hopefully I'll sneak in some sewing later.  Enjoy your weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

15 comments:

Mari said...

I love this quilt. It's so cheerful! Glad that you got the bleeding and staining under control. I've used Vicki's fabics, too, and never had a problem. Sounds like you could use some peaceful sewing time! Hope this is a calmer week!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Barn Dance is just beautiful, and I'm so glad to hear you got the bleeding taken care of! Both of our vehicles need new windshields- I'm sure we will be amazed at what we can see when we finally get them replaced!

maggie fellow said...

great quilt, the bleeding is a bummer. I have been surprised at what does bleed and what doesn't. no way to know for sure.

Marly said...

Lovely finish on the Barn Dance. I believe batiks often bleed so I always out a couple of "Dye Catchers" in the machine with new quilts, just in case!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

The Barn Dance quilt is great. I'm glad you got the bleeding under control.

Kate said...

Glad you were able to deal with the bleeding on Barn Dance. It's such a gorgeous quilt. Hope you find some stitching time this weekend. Wishing you a repair/replace free holiday season. Sounds like you've had enough for the year in just a couple of weeks.

Cathy said...

Hope you don't have to dig any deeper into the emergency fund.

Nice that Barn Dance is sparkling like jewels again.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Never fear, there's a bit of DARK in that beautiful Barn Dance that you just finished!! Thank goodness Vicki's tutorial worked for stain removal. Hooray for emergency funds, too!

Cathy said...

Barn Dance came out beautifully - so glad the bleeding did too! Yep, it always seems that bad things come in threes, doesn’t it? Hopefully you’re done with all the unexpected expenses for a long time!

Monica said...

I'm glad you were able to fix the problem, because this is a great quilt! I always love churn dash blocks. :D

Julie in GA said...

So glad you got the bleeding under control on the Barn Dance quilt. The finished quilt looks fabulous! I love the dark background (even though that was the fabric that bled!)
We had an expensive stretch like that over the summer--new washer, major air conditioner repair, and it seems like there was another that I'm forgetting. Hope that is all over for you now.

Angie said...

Glad you were able to get rid of the excess dye - Barn Dance looks lovely!

Sheila said...

I LOVE this quilt pattern!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great quilt. Glad to hear you were able to fix the bleeding.

gayle said...

I hope your luck turns to the good for a while! What a time you've had lately...
I've got that bleeding-fix tutorial bookmarked. So glad it worked!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...