Saturday, January 5, 2019

Claret and Ruby

The vast majority of my quilting time this week was spent quilting my daughter's pink quilt.  I had hoped to complete the binding too, but as I'm still under the weather, I ended up sleeping off a migraine instead of stitching.  It's all going to be fine, but this is late winter for me after pushing hard all fall.

I did make a lovely start on my Great Granny Squared blocks (pattern by Lori Holt).  I was surprised to find most of my red scraps were nearly the same color.  As you can see, one block is rather a muddy mess, but since I'm using what is in the scrap drawer, it is what it is.

Somehow, I already feel behind, but I suspect that's from seeing very little red progress since my machine was full of pink!  I've also pieced a number of triangles for Garden Mosaic (that crazy quilt whose name I couldn't remember), so I am doing fine.

My final scrappy progress for the week was puzzling over my butterfly quilt pattern.  I think my chosen fabric will work, but, of course, the collection includes no red!  I'll be piecing in green for these, since there are 4 greens to make up for the lack of reds.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Rest well and feel better soon!!

Mari said...

Red is such a hard color, but I like the look of both those blocks. I would call the one block monochrome, not muddy. Once it's in a quilt it will look great. Sleeping off a migraine is a great use of time, by the way! Hope you are back to 100% soon.

Deb A said...

Well, pink is essentially red with white mixed in it..... =) Hope you feel better.
Your red blocks looks great... and it will be perfect with all the others. Never feel 'behind' in sewing... fabrics are very patient and are willing to wait. Can't wait to see the butterfly's.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Making progress on a WiP is always a good feeling - and I bet your daughter is excited for you to finish her quilt, too! I really like the Granny blocks - they're going to look really pretty in a rainbow of colors!

scraphappy said...

So glad that you were able to make do with what you had. What a fun block.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that you are STILL feeling a bit unwell. That would certainly put a crimp in your enthusiasm for sewing! At least, you managed some RED blocks for the RSC. They are BOTH gorgeous (including the "muddy mess"!)

Kate said...

Hope you start feeling better soon. It's no fun being under the weather. Love your Granny Square blocks and am looking forward to seeing your butterfly blocks.

Julierose said...

Lovely Granny Squares; I think when they are all together you will find that the one you call"muddy" will be really a nice change...
I think reds are hard, too; I like the ones that tend toward a bluer cast rather than orange, but they are hard to find....hugs, Julierose

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...