Tuesday, February 26, 2019

February "12 Things" Challenge

I'm taking part in Judy Laquidara's "12 Things" Challenge this year since I don't have 12 UFOs to finish up.  For February, my challenge was to make a Thomas the train quilt, pixelated fashion, for JoJo, my 4th child.

My first challenges arrived when I discovered I had only one strip of solid white, not quite enough for this quilt.  Then, before the week was out, I ran out of black.

I strip pieced, pressed, sub-cut, organized rows, lined them up, sewed them together.  Rinse, wash, repeat for 91 rows.  Despite all my efforts to the contrary, I still have sections where the background sky and grass sections repeat.  The funniest part is, they don't repeat just once, but for several rows!
I had some train fabric I thought about using for the backing of this large, 70X91 top, but decided to use a more juvenile print of city transport.  I had plenty just by piecing two long strips together, so it was an easy prep.


I have rather a lot of thread in many colors, which served me well on this quilt.  It was pretty clear to me that one thread allover would not do.  Instead, I used 8 colors on top and a variegated blue on the bottom.

I did stitch-in-the-ditch around all of the black, and I thought I might give up before it was done.  After I'd exhausted one bobbin with SitD, I quilted some of the background sections, then went back it.  It took three different sessions of SitD, but I did finally finish it.

Now it's all washed and crinkly and on the bed, and I count it a lovely succes!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Congrats on a fun finish! I hope JoJo likes having it on his bed.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm betting that JoJo is one happy camper with his WAY COOL quilt!! Made by Mama and featuring Thomas the Tank Engine. What's not to love?!?! :o))

Melodie said...

Love the pixelated Thomas! Great job!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...