Saturday, February 23, 2019

Yolks and Cream

This week, we had snow and rain instead of ice, a change I much appreciate.  The kids were disappointed not to have a snow day, but while it was heavy snow, it was driveable.  Friday and Saturday are rainy, but we are outside the (current) predicted blizzard band.  I went outside to feed the chickens, saw lightning, heard thunder, and the rain turned into a much-needed downpour!  Either way, it should be a good weekend to sew.

Last week, I finished my two yellow/gold Lepidoptera blocks for February.  They went together with significantly more ease than the first two, even if I did botch the antennae of one of them.  Did you see that V and Co. are releasing more ombré colors this summer?  Of course, now there will be red and purple, but I’m already committed to what I have.  What can I make in another year or two with the new ones?  I have no idea.

This week’s massive project has been the quilting of my pixelated Thomas the Train quilt.  I began with stitch in the ditch, which is a painful process with 1” squares to turn around.  I endured through one bobbin’s worth and then turned to the colorful quilting.  I will go back and finish it; there’s probably another bobbin worth or so to do.  Seven of the eight different thread colors for the quilting are now complete, with several different quilting patterns in the different sections.  The black sections have left me a little puzzled, as I’m not sure the “outline” squares need quilting, but will it look too strange to leave them unquilted while I quilt the larger sections of black?  Since I finished the majority of the quilting, I did trim and put the binding on so I could stitch it on the go.  I’ll be meeting up with some other crafty ladies in the afternoon, and I want something to do without lugging along my entire machine.

In other news, I began cutting for March’s 12 Things project.  I’ll be sewing up a chubby pinwheels quilt in green, for St. Patrick’s day.  I found a lovely green and gold stripe for the border and maybe the backing.  Already all the pieces are cut, and now I need to mark the flip-and-stitch squares to make use of the bonus triangles.  This will be another project for Saturday evening.  After Thomas is out from under the machine, I will have a splendid time whipping out the pieces for these blocks!

Next week, I’ll get my Tiny Tuesday blocks done to wrap up this month of lovely yellows.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

12 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

Lovely butterflies and they look so complicated to make!

Ellen said...

Your butterflies are wonderful and I think you have chosen the perfect fabric for them. :)

LA Paylor said...

I love your butterfly blocks and fabric choices. So gorgeous I want to make them. I'm headed to read on and see if you listed a pattern to follow! LeeAnna

Auntie Em said...

Your butterfly blocks look very complex! How pretty they are with your polkadot fabrics!

Susie H said...

Your butterflies are beautiful. I was looking forward to seeing your Thomas the Train quilt but couldn't find a picture. Rats!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I don't see any botched job on your golden YELLOW butterflies, Katie! Looking forward to seeing Thomas quilted. What is March's 12 Things project? I don't recall reading about that before.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Very pretty butterflies!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your butterfly blocks are gorgeous, Katie! Glad you're finding them easier as you get more under your belt!

Deb A said...

Pretty butterfly's! Glad you didn't get freezing rain and ice.....enjoy the quilting time this weekend.

Karen's Korner said...

You have graded your colours beautifully.

JanineMarie said...

Beautiful butterflies! I especially like the little spark from the eye spots (is that what they’re called?) on the wings.

Birthe Marie said...

Your butterflies blocks are beautiful! :-)

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...