Saturday, March 30, 2019

Emeralds and Gold

I almost, nearly, just about accomplished my extravagant goals for the week.

My plethora of Garden Mosaic blocks added up to 88.  Since I’ve only made a total of 108 in red and yellow, I think it’s obvious I have more green scraps!

The bright 16-patches escaped the sewing machine Friday afternoon.  I’m pleased to have completed 70-odd 16-patches, with only the dark green remaining.  The strip sets for those are sewn, but there are so many greens that I just couldn’t make them all.

Next on the list was my Tiny Tuesday Sampler blocks.  I was a little disappointed by the dullness of my hand-dyed green scraps, but since I was working with my scraps as much as possible, I only cut into stash for the larger squares on the “multiply” blocks.  All the designers have created such wonderful blocks, and I’m definitely attempting techniques I ordinarily avoid.

Can we take a moment to discuss comments?  I have to apologize to many of you fellow Rainbow Scrap Challengers for my not leaving comments.  Google will not leave me signed in on my iPad, so when I try to leave comments, they vanish into the ether.  Sometimes, it shows me as signed in, but after 20 different verification screens, I sometimes give up.  I don’t know what I’ve done or how to fix it, but please know I read and comment as I can!

My final ridiculous goal for the month was to finish the top, baste, quilt, and bind my chubby pinwheels quilt, which I’m now calling “St. Patrick’s Breastplate.”  Well...  I made it over halfway on the quilting, and then I was just too tired.  I took Miss G on a field trip Thursday morning, and my parents and I have been planting fools this week, so I didn’t get as far as I hoped.  It’s all good; I have until Sunday evening to meet my monthly goal.  I’m quilting in the words of the prayer known as St. Patrick’s Breastplate, a favorite prayer of mine from childhood.  I have the prayer sitting next to me as I quilt, and I jump from section to section depending on what will fit in the given space.  I would like to finish the quilting and put the binding on today, so that I can finish the hand stitching tomorrow.

Be sure to visit all the other green inspiration this weekend.  I think I’ll save my blog-visiting for tomorrow so I can get back to quilting now!  (But first, apparently, I need to put together a new bed frame for my oldest!)

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z, 

9 comments:

Mari said...

It sounds (and looks) like you've made amazing progress, especially if you're also working outside! I can see some fun aqua bits in the tiny blocks, and I can't wait to see the breastplate quilt. I'm sure it's great! As for comments, I don't have a problem with leaving comments, but I totally hate the verification screens. I can never tell what's in those pictures and I often give up. But I do still love the blogs!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your design wall in GREEN shows that you made some fantastic progress, Katie. Best of luck with completing St. Patrick's Breastplate!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think your blocks look great. I have trouble on some blogs leaving comments because of those verification photos, and they just put another on when you click on all that apply another screen of shots come up and wants you to do it over and over again. Sometimes you can just click twice on publish your comment if the verification thing doesn't cover it and it will post your comment anyhow but on others it won't let you do that

Cathy said...

I know how frustrating it can be to try to leave comments and have them vanish. When that was happening to me, I did two things; did a total reset on my iPad, and then checked my Blogger settings. Whenever something wonky (an update?) happens, it seems to revert me to a gmail address, which I guess I have only by virtue of Google buying Blogger. But I have to add back in my regular email address, catkiz(at)mission(dot)com. Sometimes I only notice that when I stop RECEIVING comments. Anyway, we know you’re one of the faithful readers/commenters, so we’ll be here reading your progress and cheering you on, regardless.

SEVENTY-plus 16-patches?! Holy Moley! What do you eat for breakfast, girlfriend?? And it’s warm enough to plant there in Canada already? We’re still a couple weeks out here (at least) in the Salt Lake Valley, although the grow boxes are all prepped and ready to go and the seeds are standing by!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It looks like your design wall is full of green goodness! I'm glad you finished up your green St Patrick's quilt, too - the quilting sounds intriguing. I'm looking forward to seeing it! I'm sorry you're having trouble with commenting - I hope it gets easier for you.

Julie in GA said...

It's such fun to see your design wall covered with all those beautiful scrappy green blocks! They all look fabulous!

maggie fellow said...

wonderful to see all the green goodies - great progress - hard to believe we have a new color coming already

Marly said...

I don't know "St Patrick's Breastplate" so I'm looking forward to seeing your finished quilt and reading the text.
I had the same problem commenting a couple of months ago, and it seemed just to clear up on its own. I never thought of a conflict between Apple and Google, but if that was it updating one or the other (or both) might be the answer.

Kate said...

You've gotten a lot done in the sewing room and on the gardening front too. Looking forward to seeing your finished St. Patrick's Breastplate.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...