Saturday, March 9, 2019

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Greening Up

There’s a little more green in the grass around here, and it looks like we might actually have temperatures stay above freezing for a week.  That means I can fill the chicken waterers and not haul water all week.  Whew!
My Great Granny Squares went together like a charm.  I have found a fluid assembly method, so each block is ready in one piece before I have a chance to get bored.  The variety of green in my scraps was a pleasant surprise; I think they’ll play nicely in the finished quilt.

In the meantime, my design wall looks a disaster but really isn’t.  I’m focusing right now on spreading out the multiple blocks in each fabric rather than putting them in precisely the correct spot. Once I have all the different fabrics represented, the center will go together quickly.  The 16-patches are in the works, but it will be a while before I have them ready to go.

My ironing board is covered with snippets of 16-patches.  I keep cleaning, but 16-patches are pretty untidy until they come together in halves and full blocks.  This week I've focused on the teal green, so the other strips are waiting to be cut another week.  Next week is Spring Break, so everyone is home and sewing time will be restricted.

Be sure to check out all the lovely green projects this weekend that are part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love all your green blocks

Mari said...

Love the granny squares, they are so cute! I understand what you mean about the mess, but that pretty much comes with the territory. I'm always cleaning up little bits! Hope it warms up sufficiently where you, and where I am, too, though I don't have chickens to water.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your green pinwheels just make me smile, Katie! That's going to be so much fun as it comes together!

The Joyful Quilter said...

GREEN!! Great Granny and your Leprechaun quilt are coming together nicely. Best of luck finding small windows of sewing time when the kids are home for Spring Break!!

scraphappy said...

Lots of great greens!Looks like they are all coming together beautifully

Cathy said...

I love those Great Granny squares and how different they look depending upon fabric placement.
We don't raise chickens anymore but I sure remember the water hauling days of winter!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...