Saturday, July 6, 2019

Grandma’s Favorite Color

My Great Granny Squared blocks are a perfect beginning to a month of pink scraps as pink was my grandma’s favorite color.  I don’t have a lot of pink since, with a pink lover among my children, I use it as fast as I cut it up.  Still, four blocks are a satisfactory addition to the collection.  (And this weekend, I’ve taken all crooked pictures!)

I also found time to finish my 9 patches and stars quilt.  I kept the quilting simple; the blocks are pretty busy in themselves.  The backing on this quilt is a very charming farm fabric.  If I had more, I would make a few bags from it!  The blocks were made as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge over the last two years.  My 1.5” bin is getting down to pretty slim pickings now that I have made so many cool 16-patches and all the 9-patches in warm colors for this quilt.

We are hoping for some rain today, as, after the weeks and feet of rain, we’ve reached the hot and dry Kansas summer, and the cracks are already opening up in the ground.  At least the meat chickens have already gone to the butcher, so it’s only our layers that need fresh grass.  The grass is still plenty green for now, but the garden needs a good watering this morning.

We have been enjoying an overflow of peaches and blackberries from our gardens, with more to pick today!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Please visit all the lovely pink projects this weekend!

6 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on a stunning RSC finish, Katie!!

Cathy said...

Your quilt is beyond beautiful - it’s just stunning! What a great idea for using up tiny 1.5” scraps. 😍

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your 9 Patches and Stars is just beautiful, Katie! Congratulations on finishing it! I'm waving hello from Colorado! Are you in eastern or western Kansas?

Vicki W said...

Love your 9 patches and stars!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

That is an amazing quilt! Congratulations! I wish I could send you some of our rain, we are getting too much. Blackberries and peaches sound heavenly. Isn't summer wonderful?

Marly said...

Beautiful 9-patches and stars quilt; such a lovely result when they all come together.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...