Saturday, July 13, 2019

Rosy Lepidoptera

This has finally been a better week.  I’ve not only had time to sew, but also had enough energy to do so.  We had quite a downpour Saturday night with over 2” in an hour, but then the rain stopped, so I’m not coping with floodwaters.  The big kids are relieved that farm chores have reduced to weeding, harvesting, and feeding chickens.

I’ve never had so many blackberries to eat, freeze, or otherwise preserve.  Spunky has been practically eating herself sick with both blackberries and peaches.  I thinned the peaches, but not enough, so they are too small to be worth canning, but still quite tasty.  It’s a good thing it’s easy to freeze blackberries!
This week, my focus for pinks was twofold: cut and sew two Lepidoptera blocks and cut my Garden Mosaic blocks.  I definitely feel more confident in cutting and sewing the butterfly blocks each month and they are taking less time to sew up, but I’m still very glad I don’t have to make all 19 at once.  With 13 down and 6 to go, it’s going to be exciting to start sewing them together in a few more months!

The Garden Mosaic blocks are cut, and I’m sewing up the triangles pretty quickly.  It’s hot, so I plan for ironing to pile up before I turn on the iron.
Since my pink projects have abruptly thinned out by the finish of my 9 patches and stars quilt and my 12 Things project was small this month, I’ve moved on to an Irish chain quilt.  I know many people will find the colors too “blend-y” or without enough contrast, but that’s what I want.  I love working with Vicki Welsh’s fabrics, and they are the fabrics for the entire quilt, so I will get a satisfying eye full.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. There are some amazing pink projects to check out this weekend!

5 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

Oh isn't that gradation fabric with the gold dots just yummy! I wanted a bolt of each color. Your butterflies are truly gorgeous.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your blackberries sound delicious and your butterflies are just beautiful! They are going to make a wonderful quilt!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your butterfly block is gorgeous! Glad you are getting rain, but not too much.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can't IMAGINE the steps it must take to get those butterflies together! SEW glad to hear that you enjoyed some extra stitching time this week. Hoping all else is going well, too.

Kate said...

Love the pink butterflies and the pretty blues in your newest project. It's been a wet, wet year here. The rive here is still up and the local lakes are still high. Glad you didn't get flooded out with the rain fall.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...