Saturday, September 7, 2019

Distractions

I had such good intentions of sewing my normal “first week of the month” sewing, but I had a few distractions.

Last weekend was BJ’s baptism, which meant a house full of much-beloved visitors.  Then, my mom left town, so I was totally on my own all day for multiple days in a row for the first time since BJ was born.  This might sound silly to some of you, but it gives you an idea of just how challenging this recovery has been.

I did manage to cut all the pieces for my Garden Mosaic blocks.  I did have to divide them into light and dark stacks, as the difference was so dramatic I didn’t want them mixed up.


Having a cutting project was good, as the big “distraction” for the week was quilting a king-sized T-shirt quilt.  I lost a day to everyone home for Labor Day, but it took me three days of off-and-on quilting (baby and things, you know!) to finish.  It’s trimmed, and I’ll bind it next week.  Distraction done!

I previously cut all my purple Great Granny Squared blocks, so I intended to sew them all up.  Alas, only two are done.  I’ll get the others next week.  Today is another busy day!  It will be fall soon, so we have farm things to do.  (Ah, distractions.)
Pinned on the left, sewn on the right
My other ambitious goal was to finish my Irish chain blocks.  Little did I know that my Friday sewing would be hijacked by a small but rather time-consuming Tiny Tuesday Block.  Let’s just say I’m still quite a novice at paper piecing.  I am still horrible at estimating the size of piece needed, particularly on triangles, so my Storm at Sea Block is a little rough and ready.  Ah, well.

Today, once I get the bigs started outside (as I still can’t lift things, but I’m perfect at giving directions!), I hope to make good progress on finishing my Irish chain blocks.  We shall see!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.


8 comments:

Julierose said...

Happy that you are feeling better...lovely projects on the go...did you cut and are you sewing those tiny mosaic squares one by one? Egads!! Hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I remember when my second baby was born that it seemed like it was noon before everyone was bathed and fed, so I'm really impressed that you can squeeze in any sewing at all! I think your Storm at Sea looks good - I need to work some more on mine this afternoon.

Mari said...

Your tiny storm at sea looks great! Having a lot of visitors and a baptism sounds exhausting! Hope you get a bit more rest this week!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad to hear that you are feeling well enough for your mother to head home. That's good news! The quilting tasks? Those can wait! What's this about a king sized T-Quilt?!?!

Angela said...

Great progress with all those distractions. Hopefully things will calm down soon.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Taking care of a baby is a lot of work. I too am impressed you can still get sewing done. Take it easy and focus on the important things.

Kate said...

Sorry you've had such a slow recovery this time. You made good progress on a few fronts last week. Hope you feel better this week and have fewer distractions.

Sandra Walker said...

Hooray for progress, and for distractions, really. They do bring us joy, right?! Maybe (for me anyhow) some guilt too... Love your Storm at Sea block which I am about to start, holy DINAH these are tiny pieces.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...