Saturday, September 28, 2019

Purple Preposterousness

I feel like every blog post starts with drama in my life.  Instead, today, I’ll tell you first about my sewing and, if you want to keep reading about my health excitement, you can, or you can skip it!

This week, I made one Tiny Tuesday Block.  Shockingly, I have almost no hand dyes in light purple, so this one mostly repeats the fabrics from previous blocks.  I this it’s quite charming.

I made 68 Garden Mosaic blocks.  Here are the light ones.  I have one set of dark ones to press and the other still needs sewing.  I think by the end of the month I’ll have them finished up.  I do so like to wrap up each month tidily.

I spent a fair share of my fabric time pinning.  My Irish Chain quilt is now in three large strips.  Here is the middle strip, nicely pressed.  I have pinned up the other three, but it’s dark downstairs in the evening as I write this, so content yourself with one strip.  I’m very excited to work on this.  I have myself mostly convinced that this needs to be hand quilted on my frame, but I’m not sure I can trust Miss G not to destroy it.  This is a shade set from Vicki Welsh.  I was a little worried as I pieced that the variations wouldn’t show in the blocks and I would be disappointed in my choices, but I love it.  Ah.
Feel free to move on if you don’t want to read about my health drama.  Remember that last week I had a headache all week?  It continued through the weekend, so Monday I called for an appointment with my doctor.  We discussed the possibility of postpartum preeclampsia (which was ruled out with a urine sample).  I was/am suffering from a combination headache of at least migraine and tension, with weather, allergies, hormones, and lack of sleep weighing in as well.  So he prescribed a breastfeeding-safe migraine medicine combined with naproxen.  Ooh, that was funny feeling.  I didn’t take a second dose, as it seemed to help, but four hours in, I started experiencing a violent throbbing pain in the base of my skull.  I worried that might be a sign of my blood pressure being high, so I didn’t take a second dose.  The pain went on all night.

To summarize, a nurse in the practice, next day, ordered me to take the second dose.  My blood pressure went up to 177/102!  In another phone call, the doctor told me to take no more and prescribed a blood pressure medicine, which the pharmacy told my husband they couldn’t fill for 24 hours until I called and told them it was an emergency, in which case they magically filled it in 13 minutes.  Why would he show up for it if it wasn’t important?  So now I’m on BP medicine and a new combo of pain medicines.  They have worked for almost 36 hours, so I think I’m going to survive and be able to stay out of bed, with lights on.  In the midst, I had a CT scan to rule our other problems, and waiting for the results overnight was nerve wracking to say the least.  No, I’m not dying, at least not anymore than the ordinary human being.

After several days of no sewing, I had high hopes for a splendid day of sewing.  All those things I didn’t finish up above?  I was going to finish them.

However, the drama didn’t end there.  Oh, no.  Friday morning, as I left to pick up Miss G from preK, our dog refused to get up when I was backing out and I didn’t see her in my backup camera.  Her whine was a terrible sound after I rolled over her paw/foreleg.  And of course, due to postpartum complications, no way could I lift our 90 pound dog into our van.  Friends and a neighbor came to my rescue to coordinate Miss G’s safety and Hope (our dog)’s delivery to the vet. Thanks be to God, she has no broken bones or internal injuries.  I had quite the fight with the headache, forcing myself to breath and relax.  We have pain medicine for her, and she’s old so resting will do her good.  Shockingly, my blood pressure wasn’t through the roof.

So now, all I want is some quiet time to sew and be drama free!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S.  Be sure to check out the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this weekend!

7 comments:

grammajudyb said...

I am amazed that you got any sewing done. I pray you are feeling better every day. Take care!

Vicki W said...

Well first I just want to say that now I want to make an Irish Chain too! It's beautiful! I'm so sorry to hear about the migraines. I had them for years until I realized that they were caused by food (tomatoes and soy in my case). You know your body well so I know you will figure out your triggers soon. Meanwhile try to get as much rest as you can!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your sewing is beautiful, Katie, and no thanks to how you've been feeling, I'm sure! I do hope you find relief from the health issues and life gets back on track soon!

Mari said...

Oh, Katie! I am so sorry for your troubles. Everything is bad when you have a headache, and migraines are absolutely the worst. I hope all your problems resolve soon. Meanwhile, your Irish Chain is absolutely gorgeous. And the purple blocks, too, of course! Be well.

Susie H said...

Loving your blocks and that Irish Chain is stunnning!! Not trying to add to the drama, but I have to tell you that one of the signs of an allergic reaction to Naproxin is that stabbing neck pain. I too suffered from that. Never thought to check my blood pressure so not too sure about that. The PA told me to continue taking the naproxin and the next thing I had was not being able to breathe. I'd wake in the middle of the night needing air but my diaphragm wouldn't work. I thought I was suffocating while awake. That too apparently was a sign of allergic reaction and I finally put it together when I read the pamphlet that came in the package. Talk to your doctor. This may or may not apply to you but I wanted to speak up anyway. Hope you start feeling better and that life gets back to normal again!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oh, Katie! - you certainly have had a rough time lately - I hope everything calms down for you SOON. I'm glad that you are able to sew with all of the "drama" going on - your Irish Chain is gorgeous and your Garden Mosaic is coming along nicely - ;))

Kate said...

I'm hoping things have leveled out now with no headache. You've had a miserable few weeks, it's amazing you got anything done in the sewing room. Your Irish Chain quilt is a beauty!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...