Saturday, May 29, 2021

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Discouraged

I found my other farm blocks in a wayward place of my sewing room.  I really thought I’d finished more last week but couldn’t find them.  Here they are!  My family loves cherries, so even though they don’t grow reliably here, we’ll probably plant some.  A nice flag, of course.  DH loves maple trees, and we have one growing in the yard here, so also fitting for our farm.
My “discouraged” feeling comes from my pineapple quilt.  First, I sewed and cut the sashing strips.  Then, I sorted and laid out the pineapples... only to discover that after all this time and work, I made 60 instead of 40!?!  Great, I’ll make a bigger quilt... but all my sashing strips are the wrong size.  I added on some length and made a few more for the extra columns and... My blocks stretched, so despite cutting them the correct size, my blocks were too long for the strips.  I know it’s all fixable, it’s just not working as smoothly as I had hoped.

So three columns are together, and I need to correct all my strips before I can sew much more.  It will be okay (better than okay... I love the look so far), and I’ll get over my discouragement.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis, 
katie z. 

P.S.It’s Rainbow Scrap Challenge Weekend!  Purple is a good color for June.

8 comments:

Mari said...

I think we all can relate to your struggles with the pineapple quilt. Been there, done that. Here's hoping the problems will be worth it in the end.

Julie A Hutcherson said...

Awww.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So glad you found those missing blocks - they are just great, Katie! Good luck growing some cherries to eat, too! Hope all goes well with your pineapple quilt after overcoming the frustration.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE that RED Flag block, Katie!! Sorry to hear about your Pineapple troubles. If it makes you feel any better, I had Pineapple troubles this week, too. I spent MORE money at Pineapple Fabrics (to get the right colors for the quilt I'm planning!)

Ivani said...

The farm blocks are great, love them, and I am glad you found them, Katie.
About the pinepple troubles, seems you found a great solution, and the blocks are looking so pretty together.

sue s said...

Your blocks are so cute and I'm glad you found them. I can really empathize with your sashing issues- the quilt I'm making now had ALL the sashes wrong (short), and then I kept putting the freshly cut ones on the wrong side of the rows for sewing together. I swear Jack and I took every one off at least once! Very discouraging day. But you are right, it will be OK, and today I finally have a finished top!

Susie H said...

The little blocks are sweet. Love the cherries and I believe I've made that flag design too. Way to persevere with the pineapples. They really are pretty!

Vicki W said...

You must have really loved making the pineapple blocks! :D

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...