Saturday, September 18, 2021

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Farm Blocks

 To see my finished Modern Vintage quilt, here’s the post.

I finished three farm blocks this week.  We do grow carrots.  Just this week we saw a kaleidoscope of butterflies (yellow, not orange, but close enough) as we were walking.  Finally, I made another pumpkin.  Growing pumpkins and thereby taking over the entire garden was something I was notorious for as a child.  We grew butternut squash this year, but I think pumpkins may make an appearance next year.




I have spent many hours this week processing peaches.  This morning, the last ones are in the canner, and then I’ll be ready to pick apples tomorrow with friends.  Sometimes I wonder why I do all the work, but I do like to know what’s in my food and I love filling the basement shelves with food I’ve put up.

Hopefully I’ll have time later today to do some more orange sewing.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z. 

6 comments:

quiltingbydawn said...

Cute blocks! I especially like the carrots!

grammajudyb said...

Canning is a lot of work! Some thing I don’t do anymore. I still make jelly if I can get plums or chokecherries. Freezing is the way I go! My hubby would love it if I canned peaches, but they are very expensive to purchase here in Wyoming ! I love your pumpkin block!

Mari said...

I love the blocks, but the idea of all those peaches stored away and ready to eat is even better! I make peach jam and sometimes give it away for Christmas, but otherwise I'm stuck with frozen. Peach season will be over here soon, too. Bring on the homemade applesauce!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are great blocks, Katie! I love the fabric you're using for them. Home canned peaches sound yummy!

Susie H said...

Canning all that one grows is a very time-consuming job but it is worth it. The food is extra yummy and you know where it came from. Great blocks!

Kate said...

Very fun blocks! I like that you included a purple carrot in your carrot block. Hopefully you've been able to finish up the canning and get in a bit of sewing time as well.

Plugging Away

Somehow I spent most of this week thinking it was the last week in March.  I’m glad I have another week! I have plenty of purple still to se...