Saturday, October 16, 2021

Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Interrupted

 Oh, hello, there.  I wasn’t sure I’d have a chance to write a blog today.

The story goes like this: I ordered 160 pounds of apples to can. We love homemade applesauce as well as juice made from the cores.  With nine people )n the family, we can put away dozens of quarts and still not have enough.  Thursday, I picked up the apples and got flu shots for the remaining three children.  Friday, Spunky and I processed 80 pounds, finishing the day with 19 1/2 quarts of applesauce and five of apple juice.  I even (gasp) had everything washed and tidied before bed; usually I’m too exhausted to get everything wrapped up.  I was looking forward to today for canning and sewing.

Unfortunately, about 1 am, DH discovered BJ was running a fever.  Things when downhill from there.  Apparently getting his flu shot triggered another flare for the little man, only nine days after the start of the last flare.  Well, then.  No canning and no sewing today.

We managed the fever with ibuprofen for about 12 hours, but this afternoon his temperature when from 103 to 105 in 20 minutes and, before his steroids kicked in, the thermometer crossed 106!  Needless to say, no sewing yet today, and it’s almost 9 pm.

I did find my farm blocks from last week and made a few more this week.  This is what happened when the bills, school stuff, and fabric all end up on my cutting board!


Please excuse my rotated picture.  I must finish before BJ wakes, and there are no guarantees when he’s sick,  I have a few new initials (the baby we lost, mine, and our last name), Corn and Tomatoes, Apron Strings, Wool Star, the acorn from last week, a jar of applesauce, and some flying geese (in the color of each of my children).

Here’s to a better week!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. It’s the day to visit the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!


6 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm sorry to hear about BJ, and hope he's better soon. Your big apple project is impressive! Homemade applesauce is so yummy. Pretty farm blocks!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Ugh! Poor, little BJ!!! You can only do so much when one of the littles are sick, Katie.
LOVE that Flying Geese block in a rainbow of colors for the kids!

Mari said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about your little boy, and I hope he's better soon. It's always scary when kids are sick, but I think it's worse for us than them. As it happens, I'm also making applesauce today, but not nearly the scale that you are. Love your blocks!

Deb A said...

Oh no! Hope the little guy is better today and you can have a few restful moments. That is quite the project of canning - I am very impressed with the amount the two of you got done in one day.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope the little one is well soon - that is so scary when the fever goes up that high! So much applesauce and I thought it was work making the little that I did. I want to make more but we will see my hands are troubling me some and that draws me back from doing more - and it is just me that eats it.

Ivani said...

Hope your little one feels better soon. OMG you made a lot of applesauce and juice. All your new farm blocks are very special and significant. Have a blessed and wonderful new week.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...