Saturday, August 27, 2022

Rainbow Scraps

 The first full week of school was much less adventuresome than the previous week.  No crises and no crazy schedules.  I survived my first day of work.

Last weekend, I showed a picture of the beginnings of a paper piecing project.  (On a side note, I want to like paper piecing, but the mental gymnastics and mess/waste it creates are not my favorites.). This quilt was just an idea in my head last Saturday, but here it is today:
I thought I’d start with the orange butterfly and work on the rest through the course of the year.  Think again!

The binding (not shown in this picture) is also machine stitched on and I’ll finish the hand stitching to the back today.  I originally thought I’d hang this above my cutting board, but it’s a few inches too long.  It was another “you must make me” urge, and while it’s been a little quieter about its demands than Jack in the Box, it still has strong opinions.  For example, I think my daughters and I tried 40+ fabrics for the binding.

My other scrappy sewing this week was finishing the binding on my project from the blue month, Split Stars.  It’s finished and ready for a bath before giving away.

In September, I need to better organize my sewing.  I’m out of leader and ender blocks (again) and have fulfilled most of my scrappy plans for the year, so my sewing has become a bit random.  I do want to make a tree skirt for my sister, but I haven’t noodled out the design quite yet.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

6 comments:

Chantal said...

Beautiful butterfly mini. I don't like paper piecing either for the same reason as you. Removing the papers is also no fun. Split Stars is gorgeous ... and huge! Congrats on the finishes. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your butterfly quilt is beautiful, Katie! Paper-piecing does make a mess, but you sure can make amazing shapes that way. Split Stars is such a great design - congratulations on your finish!

Sara said...

Two beautiful projects. The Split Stars looks amazing in blue. Great choice. Love those paper-pieced butterflies! I like paper piecing in small doses, and this one is a winner!!

grammajudyb said...

Paper piecing is a love- hate relationship with me too! Such waste and then I always seem to cut a piece to small (in an effort to conserve fabric! Your butterfly pieci is just adorable!

Susie H said...

If you dislike the mess of traditional paper-piecing, maybe you could look into freezer paper paper-piecing. You don't sew through the paper so there's not messy removal! Whatever ... your big colorful butterflies look beautiful floating along with the mini butterflies. Nice job on your Split Stars too!

Jan said...

I haven't tried paper piecing yet, it looks fiddly. The split stars is lovely!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...