Saturday, November 19, 2022

Developments in Fabric

 I was not able to work this week as two of my littles had a stomach bug.  Alas on earning money, but I spent the time quilting, so I’ll take the positive view.

I find this lovely flower quilt, due to its requiring many decisions, tends to get put aside easily.  Fortunately, I cut a pile of blocks, and they developed nicely in between the noisy demands of the other two quilts of the the week.
My triangles are happily a flimsy.  I even spent time last night piecing the backing and the white batting and special thread have arrived.  Thanksgiving week will be a great time to get it quilted.  The changes in prominence between the quilt in person and in a photo are always intriguing.  It’s a small quilt, roughly 43”x59”, but just right for a random idea and it will make a good car quilt.  The weather has been bitterly cold lately, after too much warmth in September and October, and the cars are COLD!
Finally, most importantly, I am almost done piecing the optical illusion quilt.  I have burned through four spools of thread, destroyed an ironing board cover, sprayed an entire bottle of starch, and bought new pins to replace all the bent ones.  The red and blue threads and fuzz are everywhere.  The quilt?  It’s fabulous.  I’m really pleased with the outcome, and making a second one is helping me wrap my mind around how to make adaptations in the future.  I don’t think my brain is quite done with optical illusions.

Happy Thanksgiving early, if you celebrate, and if not, a happy and healthy week to you!  I’ll be linking up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your optical illusion quilt is indeed fabulous! The triangles quilt is also lovely.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Glad you got some sewing time this week! I love the triangle quilt - so pretty and soothing. Your optical illusion quilt is really amazing - is the Assistant liking it now?!

Kathy S. said...

Love the soft color pallet of these projects. Beautiful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear the littles were sick, Katie! You made a fair amount of progress in spite of the extra care they must have needed. Congrats on getting the Triangle quilt top together and the Optical Illusion top almost done, as well. Both are awesome!

Vicki W said...

I love the triangle quilt but that OI is just spectacular! I'm sorry that you had a new bug going through the family. Hopefully everyone is well now.
I was watching a crochet vlogger from Kansas today and she was also talking about the bitter cold there.

Kate said...

That optical illusion quilt is fabulous! Your triangle top turned out beautifully too. Hopefully everyone stays well so you can enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday.

Sandy Panagos said...

Optical Illusion quilts are so fun. Yours is beautiful!

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...