Saturday, August 26, 2023

Dog Days of Summer

 The days have been endlessly over 100, so in addition to the chaos of the first full week of school, there’s also extra animal chores to tackle.

My friend is getting married in December, so of course I’m making a quilt.  I’m trying to cut the dozens of strips before I subcut into block units, but I think I’m only confusing myself.  We’ll see.
Because my machine is tied up with a flimsy that needs pressing, I only finished two yellow box blocks this week.
On the left is my stalled project.  I have a flimsy of my pink, purple, and turquoise 16 patch blocks, but it’s too hot to think about the iron, even first thing in the morning, so it and the backing will have to wait for the heat to break before I prepare it for quilting.

On the right is my hand pieced hexagons.  I started the sixth row this week, which means I’m over halfway done with the main assembly.  It looks like, by Christmas, I’ll be planning how to fill in the edges.  I currently plan to make them straight, as neither the extra miles of binding or knife-edge finishing the many sides of the hexagons appeals to me.  I imagine it will take me longer to fill the sides than to assemble the quilt, so it will be interesting to see where this quilt is by next August. 

I thought I would be ready for backing on this piece by today.  Alas, she says she’s not complete, so I’m now painstakingly sewing down triangles around the sides.  It’s really okay; I have loved working on this piece.  It’s a good down time companion.
I am going to hustle to get outside things done this morning before the heat and humidity are too much for me.  May it be cooler where you are!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.



4 comments:

Kate said...

Your Hexie quilt so so pretty! I hear you about turning on the iron, my sewing room is upstairs and in the afternoons the air conditioning just can't keep up, so it's been a tad warm to press anything. Hopefully you are slated for the cooler weather that we are supposed to see by Sunday/Monday.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Colorado got a couple of cool, rainy days yesterday and today - I will try to send some your way. Your hexie quilt is looking wonderful!

Helenchaffin said...

I luv the look of hexie quilts but never made one,guess it's the first of all the edges coming undone, I don't know, just crazy thoughts. 😅

Julie in GA said...

You have some wonderful projects in the works. I made a hexie quilt several years ago and still haven't figured out how I want to fill in around the outer edges. I love your last piece (Cathedral Windows?)

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...