Saturday, August 19, 2023

Scattered

 The first week of school is always the hardest, and it was certainly difficult.  JoJo had a hard time returning to school with a new teacher; explaining autism to someone is always difficult if people have no background.  Of course, autism for JoJo is different than autism for me, so that complicates explanations even more!  But we made it to Saturday.

I will be very grateful when we find a routine again.  I am not coordinated enough to juggle all the things for too long!

This is a piece of work I carry in my purse, so it comes out in waiting rooms and car lines.  I am still adding squares to another strip, and then, since my background ran out, Ill have to make a decision about finishing the edges of this piece.
From my stash and scraps, I finished a quilt this week.  The dark blue and backing are fabrics I dyed myself, and I’m quite pleased with the results.


Last week, the kids and I did our annual tie dye marathon.  We’ve reduced how many items we dye, as the girls and I don’t really love the next day of endless rinsing.  Our results this year were pretty good.  I now have another interesting piece of fabric for a backing or borders (or whatever).

I also finally sewed with the right color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!  I have a small stack of yellow box blocks cut and ready to piece as I web together another set of 16 patch blocks (turquoise, purple, and pink this time).

Next week will likely be as chaotic as this week as I also return to work, but I hope it will be less stressful.  At least I’m not moving anyone into their college dorm this year; that’s next year’s adventure!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm sorry you had to explain autism to your child's teacher - it seems like they should have some knowledge about that! Lots of pretty sewing going on at your house, though. I love the blue and white quilt!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What fun to have an annual tie dye marathon with your children. Bet you get some fabulous pieces from your joint venture. Great way to transition from summer to school year. As a parent of a child (he turns 40 in January) with what was euphemistically referred to as learning style differences when he was in school, I know how stressful it can be getting him the support he needed. He's doing great now. Not only can he advocate for himself, but he is stellar at advocating for his own children.

Kate said...

Your blue and gray finish turned out beautifully. It seems strange that you would have a teacher that's not familiar with autism, but as hard a time as schools are having getting teachers, maybe that's not so surprising. Hope this week goes somewhat smoother and you can claim some peace and calm in your sewing space.

Susie H said...

Bet you'll be glad to get the routine down pat in the next few weeks. I always like life to stay steady. Your blocks are really pretty and how fun to tie dye your fabric with others!

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...