Saturday, January 6, 2024

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: 2024!

 A new year means new projects for me.

While I started these in December of last year, the goal is to make a New York Beauty block each week until I have enough to complete a quilt.   I won’t make the entire quilt, as it’s a large queen size, but I want either a wall hanging or lap quilt.  Should I make enough competent blocks, the quilt will be a gift for the girls’ art teacher.  I’m using a hoarded stash of Ombré by V and Co., which doesn’t really play well with the rest of my fabrics.
I have two scrappy projects planned for this year: 16 patches made from my 1.5” scraps and flowers made from my 2.5” bricks.  Unfortunately, I’m not ready to cut into my greens for the leaves of flowers until I know how many flowers I can make from scraps, so I won’t start the project this month.  My 2.5” box dwindled nicely in 2023, so it should empty splendidly in 2024!

16 patches made from 1.5” scraps seem to be one of my favorite easy blocks to return to.  The two lap sized ones I have at home are the softest from use.

I did start sewing green strips to white and subcutting.  I have an overflowing box of pairs now, so next week I’ll work on making four patches.  The 1.5” scrap box is full to bursting, so I really must use it this year!  Isn’t it funny how the cycle goes, of diligently using up scraps and then they multiply when you aren’t looking.
I also made my first flimsy from the box blocks I made for last year’s Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I have another 180 or so to sew up, so this won’t be the last time you see them!  I must have mixed up my order somewhere, as it was not my intention to have a diagonal line of yellow.  I think the next one will be turquoise, black, and grey, as I have a large collection of those.
I know there will be many beautiful fabrics to tempt me.  Vicki has been dyeing some really spectacular stash packs, but I want to finish a few projects before I start buying new fabric.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good luck with your goals!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Amazing how scraps multiple while we are sleeping. Clearly you have many great plans for your scraps.

scraphappy said...

Finishing quilts is the best motivation for being able to buy new fabric. Looks like you are off to a great start for 2024. Looking forward to seeing the green blocks come together.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how your box blocks look sewn together into a quilt top. Beautiful!

Sara said...

New York Beauty blocks are tricky, but so worth the effort as they are gorgeous.

Kate said...

You've got some fun scrappy projects picked for 2024. I'm going to stick with finishing off UFOs this year. You've done such a good job at getting your list down over the years.

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...