Saturday, November 5, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: a Finish!

That's right, I finished my Odd Fellows quilt, and I'm happier with it finished than as a flimsy.  I quilted a simple meander, bound it in a light blue, and spent two days of a cold binding it.  I love it washed up and crinkly!  This is for my oldest nephew, and I am hopeful he will like it as a Christmas gift.  It was definitely the epic quilt of 2016.  I like to think my piecing of triangles improved, but I'm not sure my cutting is much better, and that's really where I hit snags.  Either way, it's done and glorious.  (I certainly love that I used extra wide backing for the back, so there was no piecing involved.  It softened up nicely after a wash, and my nephew's favorite color is blue, so if he gets tired of the front, the back makes a nice top!)
My overflowing box of scraps was trimmed down early in the week.  I'm glad I stick to attacking and emptying it once a month, as it's not too terrible at this stage, but I get enough of a break that it doesn't seem like I'm cleaning them up all the time.

All the plus blocks are done, and even sewn together in batches of four and eight.  These are from my stash and scrap boxes, chosen specifically to use up the multicolored print, which I love but never use.  The last hunk of it will be built into the backing.  I think by next Saturday I'll be ready to quilt it.

I've also begun a new quilt, of pink and purple hand dyes.  I'm making Bento box-type blocks, and already only have three logs left on each block.  This would have been a quilt for my baby if he had been a she, so now I think I'll donate it to the mom's group at church.  Because it's delightfully mindless mass sewing, I will have time to play with block arrangement while I finish the plus quilt.

I think I'll run out of scrappy sewing before the baby comes in midDecember.  Maybe that will encourage him to come early instead of being induced!  (Probably not, but I can hope.)  I've already cut two of my four scrappy projects for next year, and sorted some scraps for the third.  I'll have to print off directions for the fourth and play around with size, as I'm hoping all of these will become next year's teacher gifts, so they don't need to be queen-sized!

Be sure to check out all the other colorful "in progress" projects this Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

15 comments:

scraphappy said...

Congratulations! Finishes just feel so darn good. So many triangles!

LA Paylor said...

what a work of love! So many pieces it's an heirloom already

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! What a productive week you've had!! Your nephew is certain to love that quilt and I'm loving the progress you've made on the plus quilt. MUST make one of those... SOON!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Oddfellows quilt is just amazing! I wish I could see it in person! Good for you for keeping up with your scrap organization- that is definitely something I need to spend some time on.

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

Congratulations on an amazing finish / it's a gorgeous quilt! :)

Cathy said...

You are a sewing rock star!!

Vicki W said...

It is glorious!

Deb A said...

Wow! You are really sewing through everything this year. Great progress and hope the cold is completely gone. Your quilt is beautiful, what lucky nephew you have. Hope the little one decides to come on time or early so Mommy doesn't need to be induced.

Cathy said...

There's nothing odd about Odd Fellows...it's stunning! Congrats on that finish. Your nephew is a lucky guy. Hope he appreciates all the work that went into it.

Alison V. said...

Congrats! This is impressive!

Ariane said...

Your finished quilt looks amazing!!

Kathy S. said...

Your quilt finish is gorgeous! Your nephew is going to LOVE it for many years to come. Congrats on a great finish.

Chantal said...

Congratulations on this wonderful quilt! It is just awesome and I so love it. Fantastic job! ;^)

Angie said...

Love, love, LOVE how the Odd Fellows turned out! It's gorgeous and all those triangles look impressive! Lucky nephew; I'm not sure I could give it away.

Kate said...

Gorgeous! The warm colors with just that one cool toned block are just stunning. The border fabric is perfect. Congrats on a beautiful finish!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...