Saturday, November 26, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: This, That, and the Other

There's a binding being stitched down today!  My Orphan Medallion top came together faster than I thought, so I pieced a "frankenbatting" and basted it quickly before Thanksgiving break was in full swing.  I worked on the straight line quilting a little every day, finished it Friday, and whipped out the binding in the evening after the kids were (finally) in bed.

Friday night, I couldn't figure out why I had accomplished so few of my regular tasks.  Then I remembered: hours of Christmas present wrapping, to beat the baby; electrical assistance, since DH installed new lights in the basement/playroom/sewing room (they're so bright!); and more loads of laundry washed and folded than should be legal.

The Assistant has discovered the tedium that is sewing rows together.  I do the pinning, and I showed her how, if she sewed five seams a day, we'll have a top by the end of break.  She's reluctantly willing, especially now that we have all the rows in pairs.  I'm pinning foursies for her this morning!

My Bits and Bobs worked up nicely this month.  I finished eight, and now I desperately need to cut more, as I think I only have three or four more of the tiny nines cut.

I finished one more bloom, so I guess that means I need to prep more.  I've been more focused on hand-quilting my only remaining "real" UFO, but it's not portable, so I guess I'll have to give myself a stern talking to!

December 14 is officially my induction date, so there will be less sewing and more Christmas prep getting done in the next two weeks.  Once the Orphan Medallion is done, I think I'll work on a pillow cover for a currently naked pillow form. We use the pillow, so I really should cover it before it gets dirty.  My mission is to use stash, scraps, and scrap batting, so it's time to get busy!

Be sure to check out all the wrapping-up or finished-up projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

9 comments:

Chantal said...

You sure did accomplished a lot! Even for someone not pregnant, the week you had would have been a lot. Hope you can enjoy a little bit of peace and quiet this weekend. ;^)

Cathy said...

Wow, you are one busy pregnant lady! And so smart to get things prepped before baby arrives. Looking forward to seeing The Assistant’s quilt come together. And all of yours, too, LOL!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can't believe how fast the Orphan Medallion came together!! SEW much productivity going on at your house. LOVE how much The Assistant has gotten done on her quilt, too!!

gayle said...

Busy busy! Good luck with all those projects, and remember to stop and take a breath now and then!

Cathy said...

You said it...the tedium of sewing rows together....I'd have more quilts made if those darned blocks would magically sew themselves together! I promise myself if I sew a row then I can make a few blocks...then I sew a row and make a few blocks...an endless loop...

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We just installed the same light in our kitchen - and yes, it is bright! We had to replace a larger light fixture, so that now means fixing the rest of the ceiling. :( Love seeing all your projects! Wishing you lots of productive time before Dec 14 rolls around!

Mari said...

Wow, just reading that makes me tired! Good luck with getting everything ready by the 14th!

Kate said...

The Orphan Medallion quilt looks great. Hope the assisstant made good progress on her quilt. You've been getting so much done, how you have the energy is a wonder to me. Good luck with all your Christmas prep.

Vicki W said...

Your purple roses are beautiful!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...