Saturday, November 12, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Quilting

Five weeks...

My plus quilt, the final teacher quilt of the year, is quilted.  I should I have been able to finish the binding yesterday, but I was simply exhausted.  Soon enough.

Q was home from school for three days, and it's hard to keep a well-feeling but sick six year old occupied!  All the piles in his room are finally cleaned up, and an entire diaper box of recycling left his room.  Meanwhile, while JoJo was in speech, I had to sit in the car with Q and Miss G, so another bud is finished for my appliqué.  I will confess I don't love the shading on this, but I'm following the pattern.  Yesterday I basted the next pieces for the third big flower.  Maybe I'll finish one or two more before the baby, and then who knows how long this will sit!?

The log cabin quilt is basted for quilting, since the Assistant and Spunky helped me with a layout and it was quick to stitch up. I'm glad these two quilts (the plus quilt and the log cabin) were small and quick to baste.  I foresee only one more quilt top possibly needing basting in the next few months, which is good, as I can't sit on the floor.

Next to my rose appliqué pieces, you can see my "newest" project.  My orphan block box has been filling, and I've run out of needed projects, so I decided to pull out all my blue orphan blocks and make something.  If they don't go into this quilt top, I'm getting rid of them!  I don't really want to appliqué the center by hand, but that's what I'll do after the plus quilt binding is done.  In the meantime, I'm sorting the odd bits I have and figuring out what can be used.

I turned on the heat this morning for the first time, not for myself (I'm still happy in shorts and short sleeves), but for the kids who one and all complained of freezing.  It was a balmy 62 in the house, and not bad with socks on!

Be sure to check out all the lovely "wrapping it up" projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your plus quilt is just beautiful, Katie! I really like the colors you chose. What a lucky teacher!

Kate said...

Love the Plus quilt! Congrats on having all your teacher quilts done. I've still haven't finished one of the graduation quilts yet. One is close, the second is almost ready for assembly. I'll have to get busy with the 3rd and 4th! Drama Teen turned our heat on last Wednesday when she was home sick. Granted we had frost, so I can understand why she was cold.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE how the Plus Quilt turned out!! Re: the heat, we finally caved this week. 60 degrees was just a down right chilly and made it extra difficult to get out of bed in the mornings!

PaulaB quilts said...

The Plus quilt is lovely. Congrats on a near finish. Nice to be getting things finished. God bless you and the baby coming.

Deb A said...

Too funny on the heat - hubby turned ours on this morning as the house was around 70! (When hot outside the ac is set to 78 and anything much cooler is cold!). Your plus quilt is beautiful. Hope things go well these last few weeks before baby. Your rose is very pretty.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...