Friday, November 18, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: the Finish Edition


The Assistant is working away at her quilt.
The binding on the plus quilt wrapped up last Saturday evening.  I washed it, dried it, finally photographed it, and it's rolled up for gift giving.  It's quilted with a crescent shaped meander, is backed with the last of the large print along with a coordinating blue, and finished about 60" square.  Teacher quilts, check!





Then, while I was in the quilting frame of mind, I quilted rows of loops on my log cabin.  While this is not technically a rainbow scrap challenge quilt, I was spurred to make this now when I had finished scrappy projects and had the fabrics already in my stash.  The Assistant and Spunky helped me with the layout.  We attempted a number of other layouts, but this was the only one we all really liked.  The Assistant said she would "really, really" wants to keep this quilt, but I think I'll keep it in reserve for a donation.  I may need to make her a larger version at some point for her bed!  (The fabric for the top is two half yard stash packs from Vicki Welsh.  Buy some.). The backing is a Simply Color ombré with a piece I "thought" matched more closely.  It did in the basement light, but clearly not in more natural light!  The Advent log cabin finished up roughly 48" x 56".



My third appliqué rose is entirely basted, and we'll see if I make much progress this weekend.

Finally, the orphan block collection is shaping up nicely.  I don't do random well, and starting with the Dresden plate as a center piece might not have been the best idea, but it was what needed to be used. I will add another half border of pinwheels, I think, from leftover blue triangles, and then this will be big enough.  I will NOT piece the backing, so I'm limiting this to about 40".  That should give me a nice baby quilt for giving away as needed.  I've enjoyed the process of selecting bits to incorporate, and I'm grateful that is all fabric I would have pitched otherwise.  A found quilt, indeed!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

Be sure to check the other fun scrappy projects, many of which are wrapping up, each Saturday.
(JoJo took a picture and was so proud of himself: possibly the best useful early Christmas present ever.)

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Whew! You got so much done this week that you make me tired just reading it! Where do you find the energy? I love the finishes and agree that finding a quilt out of scraps is wonderful! Your assistant is so cute; be sure to keep us posted on her sewing progress!

Chantal said...

Congratulation on these finishes. Lucky is the teacher who will receive the Plus Quilt. The Assistant concentrates very hard on her work it seems. Good for you; having a quilter in the making AND a photographer wanna-be. Soon,you won't have to stop sewing to take quilt pictures. So smart to train them young! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that plus quilt! Such a pretty color combination! I'm working on a plus quilt right now, so I enjoy seeing all the different ways there are to put them together.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such WONDERFUL progress this week!! The Assistant's row is coming together nicely. She and Spunky came up with a real winner of a quilt layout. Nice work, girls!!

Kate said...

The assistant has made really good progress and so have you. Congrats on the two finishes. I wish the graduation quilts were as far along as your teacher quilts. Yeah for JoJo, he did a great job.

Sheila said...

The Assistant KNOW what she is doing! A future quilter for sure.
Very nice quilts. You girls have been busy.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...