Saturday, December 9, 2017

Sometimes you win some...

... Sometimes you lose some.

I was not careful enough with the bias edges of Garden Party and ignored my excess when applying the borders, so now they are wavy.  Boo.  I’m afraid ripping them off and reattaching may only cause more distortion, so I’ll be quilting in a few pleats when I get to the borders.  I know better and just didn’t pay attention.  It will be okay in the end; it’s not an heirloom piece by any stretch of the imagination.  Now to find a backing and remember to be more careful next time!

In the meantime, I finished this week’s Advent preparations and other “homework” and subsequently began a cutting marathon.  First up was T-shirts for another customer quilt.  Since it includes little girl shirts, I’m going to have to frame a few.  This is my last resort, but the shirts are needed, so frame I will.

Next, I cut for three new quilts for next year: an Ohio star/ hourglass quilt in red and white for our goddaughter niece,

a red and queen Jared Takes a Wife quilt for Christmas (since I already had a stack of reds out),
I cut the green "chunks" I need from each fabric, but still need to strip them.
and strips for a dragon quilt for Q, who needs a big boy quilt for his bed (green, since I already had greens out).

I have a few more quilts on my “someday” list that may very well come out to play in 2018.  My current project list will be down to four, and three of those I have no intention of tackling just yet.  That means I may start a new project every month!

Be sure to check out the lovely finishes, almost finishes, and splendid collection of blocks this Saturday!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

8 comments:

Linda Schiffer said...

Sometimes you can correct a mildly wavy border by sewing a very long basting stitch (by machine) in the ditch between the body and border - while the piece is still a top. I have done thing on things and had it work nicely. You don't have to pull up the basting stitches, the sewing pulls them very gently and eases in the extra length.

Good luck!

:) Linda

Mari said...

Oooh, I empathize about the wavy borders. Maybe they can just be eased when you're quilting it. Looks like you have enough projects for the first few months of 2018 anyway!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Good for you, getting all that cutting done! Now you can sew a bit whenever you get a chance! I need to start cutting a quilt for my son. I have the fabric, just have been putting it off!

PaulaB quilts said...

Sorry about the border. I ended up cutting one off. So smart to do all that cutting at once. Have a fun week!.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing your new projects progress in 2018!!

Cathy Tomm said...

We all know better and still try the fast way, sorry about it. So many new projects on the start line. They look like fun.

Angie said...

So much cutting - but it will be worth it to have 3 quilt projects ready to go! 2018, here we come!

gayle said...

We've all had those wavy borders - here's hoping it quilts down quietly!
What a great bunch of new projects you're cutting for! I'm looking forward to seeing them as they grow!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...