Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pantry Challenge

Amy over at Finer Things is holding a pantry challenge... Using what's in the freezer or pantry that should be used... It's not food storage, it's forgotten bags of zucchini, etc.

Last night, I sorted through our deep freeze and upstairs freezer compartment to take stock of my forgotten bits. What did I find? That we really don't eat as much meat as we used to, but neither do we eat enough vegetables.

I brought up all the remaining strawberries and blueberries from summer harvests. With winter fruit being so expensive, it's hard to fulfill the girls' craving for fruit.

I also dumped the remainder of my very seriously sprouted and shriveled potatoes. (On a side note, I need to learn to can potatoes so preserve the harvest next year!). I also peeled and chopped the last of the summer's harvest of onions. I probably chopped enough for 8-10 recipes, and then there will be no fresh onions until next summer.

Deep cleaning the house to be ready for the new year has certainly helped me be aware of all the extra/excess in our house that needs to be used up or disposed of before our house goes on the market in (gulp) less than three months.

It's time to go back to work (and cuddle with my boy).

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your frozen berries would make some great jam!

Alzbeta said...

You can do it! You are the most motivated person I know... I am honestly quite jealous that procrastination fears you. Love you!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...