Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Purple Placemat

This:

is going to end up looking like THESE!  Back in 2011, as part of the UFO challenge at Patchwork Times, I completed a placemat for each of my family members for use at my mom's house, where we regularly gather for Sunday dinner.

My brother's lovely girlfriend doesn't have a placemat.  They've been dating for a while, but are both in school, and she has come to several major family dinners, so it felt a little... disrespectful not to have a placemat for her.  Rumor has it that she likes purple (I even made her a purple table runner!).

Since we have two new babies in the family this year as well (JoJo has arrived, Li'l Bit is due in a few weeks), this scrap challenge was as good an excuse as any to whip up a few more.  While I prepared this one, I cut the solid backing, binding, and batting for all three, so when I decide what colors I'll be using, I'm ready!  My talented but busy older sister will embroider names on the solid side (click on the top link to see what I mean) so the girlfriend can have her own placemat when she comes to Sunday/holiday dinner!

I like this better than piecing all the purple scraps without regard to value.  I've saved the light scraps for Nuggette's doll quilt (since she'll be a big sister too!), and think this is prettier, even if dark, without the added chaos of light pieces thrown in!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Love the idea for Sunday dinner placemats - what a wonderful way to share with the family!

Lesley said...

Great purple project!

Cathy Tomm said...

Love the purple place mat. So good to use the little bits.

Pattilou said...

Great placemat and what a fun idea of different placemats for everyone!

Edith said...

What a great idea Katie, might have to borrow this one.

Sheila said...

Great purple place mat. Love the idea of individual, colorful place mats. I may nave to steal your idea.

Deb A said...

Great idea and love that you do the family dinners. I miss those since I moved away from all my family a couple of years ago.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...