Saturday, November 30, 2013

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Chocolate

With 135 of the necessary 180 done, I had my daughter slap this blocks on the design wall for a look see.  My browns are clustered together as I put them up as I finished them this month, but otherwise they're randomly placed.  I can see a few that are turned, but it's okay, as I will rearrange plenty before I sew!
I've been pondering my plans for next year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge (boldly assuming that the challenge will continue!).  I see a few things I need to do:

1.  Focus on creating planned scraps as I cut quilts.  Cutting scraps into a size I know I actively need will help me in keeping the scrap bags under control.  I also want to cull my stash of fabrics that I like but aren't really enough to use on their own in a quilt.  It's time to make them scraps!

2.   I need more neutrals.  Lots more.

3.  I would like to amass more scraps to have more variety when I pull for projects, but I don't have the storage space.  I think that means next year I need to work on using more from my stash in order to have more scraps.

4.  It has been quite nice to be using scraps instead of simply storing them up.  I always intended to use them, and sometimes even did, but having the weekly challenge to produce something photo-worthy has really spurred me on to look at other's projects as well as blocks I have long wanted to create and then adapt them for scraps!

You should check out the other challengers each Saturday as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

6 comments:

Deb A said...

I love your design wall! So nice that those are from scraps and that you are using them. I really need to sort my bin again and use more of them.... but I seem to keep creating more scraps as I go!

Kate said...

You did a great job this year with the challenge. Plus it sounds like you have some good plans for to make next year work even better.

Julie in GA said...

The blocks on your design wall look fantastic! I like your ideas for making the challenge even better next year. I need more neutrals too.

scraphappy said...

Sounds like you have lots of good plans for next year. My favorite from the list is the one about making more scraps. What could be more fun than that?

Cathy said...

Pretty blocks. And sounds like some good plans for next year.

Quilter Kathy said...

Great ideas for next year and being organized!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...