Friday, November 22, 2013

Scraps to Treasures 2013

I finished this quilt some time ago, but couldn't blog about it until the Scraps to Treasures voting via the HGTV boards was over.  24 quilts were completed, a somewhat disappointingly low number.  I understand that life got in the way for many people.  Hey, last year, I made a hideous quilt for the challenge as I was miserable with morning sickness and a move (okay, so it's not hideous when I go back to look at it.  All I know is, I didn't love it.  At all.)

This quilt is called Stella.  It measures at 36.5" x 51.5", a happy size for a baby quilt.  Part of the challenge rules include giving this quilt or an equivalent amount of money to a charity.  I'm still not sure where it's going.

It was an original design, although after I drew it out, I realized there is a quilt called Sparkle Punch that is the same thing.  Still, I came up with it on my own.

  I'm afraid mixing up scrappy fabrics in some way other than rainbow order is simply not part of my genetic makeup.  Fortunately, it would appear I passed those genes onto my son, as he sorts his toys by color order.  (It drives other family members nuts.  I just smile.)
I hand quilted this one and really enjoyed it.  It was my "wait in the pickup line" at school project, so I didn't get antsy waiting for the girls.  In fact, I sometimes wanted to get in line a little early just to have another minute or two to quilt.

 I used a range of colors.
The back...
I think this will be the last time I take part in this challenge.  The reasons probably don't need to be listed here, but I am grateful for the organization and participation in this project.  It's time for something different!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Some quilts just don't speak to us even though they looks so good on paper. Congrats on the finish.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...