Friday, January 24, 2014

Life's Little (and Big) Hiccups

I knew, January 1, when I laid out my goals, that there were too many.  Still, how bad could it be?  Oh, let me count the ways.

1. Our living/dining room floor was replaced last week.  There were several hiccups in the progress, including an entirely new subfloor, which required the boys and I to leave the house every day last week.  The dust everywhere and furniture in the kitchen were among the trials to be endured.

2.  My grandmother died last Tuesday.  Phone calls, travel for the funeral, and general malaise took precedence over quilting.

3.  This little booger of a project.
My Assistant needs to dress up like Laura Ingalls Wilder for Kansas day next week.  We had nothing that would fit her, so Mama went into overdrive, finishing the apron (which the Assistant wore for ANOTHER presentation last week, in the midst of death and destruction, and why didn't she tell me until two days before?  God bless my daughter.  Her sense of timing is horrible) by last Wednesday.  Today, after some days in the hospital, I finished the dress, including a fully lined bodice and hand stitched hem.

4.  That hospital business.  Tuesday, my mom was taken to the hospital via ambulance.  She underwent surgery Wednesday to remove a section of her bowel due to ischemia.  Fun times.  I depend on my mom for moral support, so it was hard arranging for friends and family to watch my kids so I could take my turn at her bedside.  Fortunately, she does not have cancer and avoided a colostomy, so her prognosis looks good.  Still, this event has decisively ended her Monday visits to help me clean and watch the boys while I volunteer.  Remind me to tell you about her near miss with a burr hole and brain surgery.  Hilariously hysterical.

Now, as a respite to the above insanity, I'm going to quilt before I head out for the hospital.  Please pray for us!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

Holy Cow, you've really got it go it on there! I hope you Mom is better soon and that you have no more nasty surprises.

scraphappy said...

Oh dear, when it rains, it pours. So sorry to hear about your troubles, but better times are surely on the horizon.

Kate said...

Hope you Mom is doing much better. And hopefully that's it on the excitement front for awhile.

Marly said...

What a week! I hope you're out of the storm and everything is plain sailing again soon

Karen said...

OMG. I am glad to hear your mother will be ok.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...