Saturday, December 19, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Bring on the Crazy

So… You need a JoJo update.  Wednesday night, he smashed his face into the corner of the door frame into the kitchen, yielding a torn frenulum, two holes through his lower lip, a huge cash inside his lip, and some serious bleeding.  When he was tossing in a miserable and restless sleep Wednesday night, I stitched down the binding on my quilt while holding him.
 This fabulous little quilt is done and it's totally mine.  It finished about 60"x68", before washing, and it's the perfect size for me to sleep in the armchair with JoJo.  I quilted it simply in a diagonal through all the white squares in one direction.  I love the texture, the colors, the movement… Yup, I do think I'll be keeping this quilt.
 The backing is the same fish print I used on my grandfather's quilt, and I bound it in a sparkly silver grey fabric that I picked up at a garage sale.

Meanwhile, since it is the week of crazy, I finished the 16 patches for the back of my hand-pieced hexagon quilt.  They're now in rows, and I probably won't get the backing finished until next week.  I'm pretty happy with how it looks, even if I wish a little that I had used less lights.  I used only scraps, so this is where it's going.
I think I'll be hand-quilting from the back, so all the squares will give me a lovely grid to follow.
from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

12 comments:

scraphappy said...

Poor JoJo. Hope that he is feeling better soon. I'm sure that a little extra attention from you helped him to feel better. Congratulations on the finish, this will be a happy quilt to keep.

Vicki W said...

I'm so glad you are keeping this quilt! I hope that Jojo is better soon.

gayle said...

Oh, poor JoJo! I hope he heals quickly and feels better soon.
I'm so happy that you're keeping your quilt. And your other quilt is going to be just as lovely from the back as from the front, from the looks of it!
Beautiful work!

Jennifer said...

your quilt is fantastic! hope all is better soon!

LA Paylor said...

amazing what you make. So sorry for the injury... how scary for everyone. Faces bleed like crazy just to raise the panic level. LEeAnna

Chantal said...

Awhh poor Jojo! We all grow up with bruises and cuts. It's part of the learning I guess. Hope he heals soon and well.
Wonderful quilt you have made. You are such a fast worker. Admiring. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE the subtle shade changes in YOUR rainbow quilt!! (I'm SEW glad that you decided to keep it for yourself.) Sorry to hear about the JoJo drama and hope he heals quickly! Those 16-Patch Blocks that you've been working on will be lovely on the back of your other quilt.

Julierose said...

Awww poor Jojo...not fun! Your Rainbow Scrap little squares quilt is fabulous; happy you are keeping this one for yourself!! What size are the squares in this--I love it!! hugs, Julierose

Mystic Quilter said...

Hope JoJo heals quickly and can enjoy Christmas festivities, what a nasty accident.
On the quilting side - pleased you're going to keep this absolutely wonderful quilt.
Happy Christmas!

Angie said...

Lovely finish! Glad you are keeping it for yourself - it will be ongoing fabric therapy!

Kate said...

Beautiful finish. Oh poor JoJo, sounds like he really did a number on his face. Hope he feels up to celebrating Christmas.

PaulaB quilts said...

I pray little JoJo is healing quickly. Your rainbow quilt is a treasure. Cannot believe you made an entire quilt for backing. You go, girl.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...