Saturday, December 5, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Finished Scraps

My big project for the week was the finished quilt I chat about below.  The second major project was assembling the top and backing for a Tshirt quilt for my sister.  It's my second oldest UFO, and it's going to get knocked out yet this year.

After and in between those largish tasks, I pieced the rows of 16-patches.  I'm quite happy with how it's looking, even if I now regret using anything for the background other than white or cream.  This is destined to be a teacher quilt, but I cannot tell you how much I want to keep it myself.
The tiny four-paches are rejects from contemplating an Omigosh quilt.  I couldn't face the minuscule triangles, so the four patches found a home here.  I'll sew the rows into pairs, then belly up to the ironing board for lots of seam spinning!

 I powered through the Assistant's quilt, which is found in Kim Brackett's Scrap-Basket Sensations.  She pieced the strips, chose the combinations for the blocks, laid out the blocks, and chose the borders. Everything was from my stash and scraps, except for a few fat quarters she picked up at a quilters' garage sale.  It finished about 72" square.
 I like how it turned out, and I like my giant four-patch for the backing.   I think this quilt will be for JoJo's speech therapist, but that remains to be seen.
Since I finished my major projects for the week, I've been assembling the backing for my hexi quilt.  It's all scraps, and I'll have a finished thing or two to show yet this month.

Be sure to check out other scrappy projects for inspiration!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

19 comments:

scraphappy said...

Great progress this week. So many tiny pieces!

Marly said...

Wow, there are so many tiny pieces in that first photo, but the effect is enormous! Congratulations to your assistant - her quilt is super!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! You have been busy this week!! LOVE both of those quilts, but what size did that 16-Patch turn out to be? It looks quite generous for a teacher quilt!!

Nell's Quilts said...

Such lovely work this week. Your assistant's quilt is darling.

Mari said...

Wow, that 16 patch looks so great! I'd be tempted to keep it for myself, too. Nice job! I admire your patience!

gayle said...

Oh my goodness! Look at all the pretties you've got here!
That 16patch is going to be really hard to part with, I can see. It's absolutely stunning.

PaulaB quilts said...

A charming quilt with the friendship stars. Very nice finish.

Kathy S. said...

I love how the colors of the little four patches blend together. Beautiful work!

Cathy said...

Wow, you are a workhorse! Those tiny pieces would make me go blind, so I will do a double bow to you for your ambition and perseverance! It looks awesome. :-)

Jennifer said...

wow! those 16 patches are amazing! something about timy pieces of fabric always makes the block up over the edge...

Vicki W said...

I would not be able to give that 16 patch away.

Mystic Quilter said...

A truly amazing quilt!! It is absolutely beautiful - congratulations!

Deb A said...

Love that scrappy Kim Brackett pattern. I'm sure whomever get that will love it. Your assistant has an eye for color like her Mom! Great job.

Chantal said...

The tiny weeny little four patches among the four patches are sooooo smaaaaallll. Incredibly small!! Your quilt is awesome. Love the little stars in the sashing of your assistant's quilt. It makes the quilt even more interesting. Congrats to both of you. ;^)

Edith said...

I just love the look of your sixteen patch quilt, that's one lucky teacher. Once again you amaze me with the amount of projects you work on and get done. Good luck on the T-shirt quilt.

Angie said...

The 16-patches look gorgeous! Such a soft, rainbow mosaic.

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE the sixteen patches -- I would have a VERY hard time giving that one away.

Sheila said...

Love these quilt tops. It would be difficult for me to part with them, too.

Lori said...

Woohoo--Go Katie Go!!!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...