Saturday, September 30, 2017

Finished Quilt: Bits and Bobs

Inspired by the tiny pieces of the late Sue Garman's Omigosh quilt as well as the progress of other quilty bloggers, I set out on my journey of tiny pieces at least four years ago.  The 1" pile was totally exhausted, so recuperation is necessary for a few years before it will be ready for another epic journey.  I even have ideas, but they will be patient.

I enjoyed using up those tiny squares in little nine-patches, then matching the nine-patches into sets of five.  Until most of the blocks were made, I had no idea what the color balance was.  As usual, there are so many blue, but it all looks lovely in the end!

I was quite sure I had basted a large crease into the backing, but apparently most of it was a trick of the eye or a pulling in of the batting, as now I only see a few puckers.  My DH likes the wool batting. I sleep warm, so until it's properly cold at night, it's too heavy for me.  I may try it again for a smaller hand quilting project, but as a project that was already large to baste, I won't repeat the wool batting (for now).  I do think it's user error; I have a method of basting that works for me, my time and space constraints, and my lack of basting helper.  It doesn't work well for the wool batting since it's fluffier and doesn't cling.  (I am aware there is a method using boards; it's not for me, not right now.)

Eleven color changes accompanied me in the diagonal quilting.  The backing, oh, I love it so very much that I wish I'd bought a bolt of it.  Alas, Connecting Threads no longer carries it, so I must content myself with the remnants. The binding was cut from two gradients by Vicki Welsh. Maybe it doesn't "go" with the backing, but it makes me happy too.

At a finish of 90" square, it's a good size for the entire bed and even a child or two when they wake up at 5 am (like this morning!).

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your Bits and Bobs quilt is absolutely gorgeous! It was so much fun to follow your progress along the way. Congratulations on a great finish!

scraphappy said...

Wow! What a huge accomplishment! I never noticed the neutral corners before now. I love them! The quilting is perfect! Finishing a quilt is always great, but this one is even more impressive than most. Congratulations!

Лёка said...

очень красивая и кропотливая работа. Я об этом квилте только мечтаю.

Angie said...

It's been so much fun to follow the progress of this epic quilt - congrats on such a wonderful finish!!

Cathy said...

Congrats on the gorgeous finish! Like the others said I'm glad you took us on the journey to the finish.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your spectacular finish. The rainbow binding is perfect for the front. Never mind what it looks like with the back!

Kate said...

Gorgeous! Congrats on a beautiful finish. I love the color gradient across the quilt. But oh so many little pieces!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...