Saturday, September 16, 2017

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Faded

In a week pockmarked (like the moon) with emotional highs and lows, I find myself exhausted at the week's end.  Thank God that all is well, as it was difficult in the moment.  But I did sew, in harried and not so harried moments.  (In case you're curious: one emotional high was Miss G going full-blown potty training.  We had three great days.  Then, we had a low in which she had accidents on everything, including curtains, for a day.  Let's just leave it there.  Then we lost both sets of keys to one of our cars, so it's currently undriveable.)

I worked on Bits and Bobs all week.  My original goal was to quilt at least three colors of thread.  (I think I picked out 11 different spools to use).  Of course, I started with the short rows in one corner, and breezed through grey, black, and green, so I took on the mighty teal section and made it partway through blue before... Friday, I looked at the machine repeatedly, but never turned it on.  I have plenty of time to quilt more next week!  What would you use for binding?  I have no rainbow stripes or rainbow fabric.   I do have a few lovely gradients from Vicki Welsh, and I'm considering putting them to work.

The hourglass flimsy is basted.  It was a breeze to piece the backing and batting, but lack of basting pins caught me.  I have a backup box, but didn't want to haul it out and have to fit the pins back in it later, so I basted as much as I could, then quilted a few rows of Bits and Bobs to free up pins, then basted more.  Whether I finish hourglasses this month or next is a mystery to me, but at least I've made progress!

Additionally, I have my orphan block hanging on the design wall.  I've cut a few things, sewn a border, and am ready to move on to the next once I finish quilting and change feet again.  Although it just now occurs to me that when I cut pieces for the next border, I didn't use any of the green on the design wall.  Blergh.

Be sure to check out other orange progress this Saturday. I love seeing all the projects, as I gather way too many ideas for sewing up my own scraps! 

7 comments:

scraphappy said...

I sure hope those car keys turn up. My DH once left his keys in checked luggage which was lost by the airline, we had to have the car towed and re keyed. No fun at all. Maybe the dealer can order a key for you? I like blue for binding on rainbow quilts. I always think I want rainbow stripes, but i never seem to have the right kind. Hope this week is a clam one. Sounds like you could use it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, goodness!! What a week. Here's hoping that you find those keys SOON!!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Sorry it's been such a rough week. I hope the keys show up soon.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh no, what a week! I hope you find that stitching is therapeutic! I think a scrappy binding would be pretty on your Bits and Bobs. Wishing you a calmer week ahead!

Angie said...

Here's hoping the coming week goes a little more smoothly! It's always good to have fabric therapy handy to smooth the rough days!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Katie - I have some rainbow stripe fabric that I can send you. I have your address from when you ordered a LEFT-EZE Rule - so as soon as I can get the package to the post office - it will be on its way - ;))

Kate said...

I really hate weeks like that. I hope this week is much, much better. And that you find your car keys!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...