Saturday, September 9, 2017

Orange You Glad It's September?

As we're nowhere near the fires or rains or hurricanes, I must declare our weather simply splendid.  For my quilty acquaintances near danger, may God keep you and yours safe.  The idea of evacuating is mind-boggling to me, as I can't imagine how we could transport our chickens, turkeys, and guineas anywhere.

In the meantime, I'm plodding through a haze of sleepiness and a too-long to do list. (Mine never gets shorter.  Does yours?). I finished a few important ones and made progress on others, so I shouldn't be disappointed.

Even sewing time has been challenging, so it's a good thing that I'm to the tail end of several sets of blocks.  Since I only had a few seams left, it was no problem to finish my hourglass top.  I pulled the fabric for the backing, but since it requires piecing, that will be on next week's list.


Five little Garden Party blocks work up in no time, and I even managed to find orange!

There were less mini nines blocks than I expected, so I completed these in between other seams.  I still haven't settled on a new leader-ender project, so everything is filling the gap.

Now basting my Bits and Bobs was a challenge.  It requires a dedicated amount of time to baste a quilt this large, and I didn't have much of that kind of time this week.  Finally, I laid out the backing and wool batting on Thursday and spent nap time (and then some) on Friday basting.  My initial thought on the wool batting is I don't like its behavior in basting.  I couldn't get it flat, and it didn't cling to the backing at all, so my usual basting method didn't work well.  I have several large creases in the backing, despite all my attempts to keep things straight, and it's due to the batting.  Since it's for me, I'm trying really hard not to stress about the creases.  I'm certainly not removing several hundred pins to try again.

My orphan Dresden plate saw a bit of attention this week.  It's now sewn down and an initial border attached. I've pulled the leftover coordinating fabrics as well as a few others (including Christmas present fat quarters) that go well enough, and now I'm having fun puzzling away.

What is your favorite orange fabric this week?  I find my favorite orange hue leans slightly to pink.  Be sure to check out other favorite orange bits this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

6 comments:

scraphappy said...

I've never tried wool batting, but it sounds like a bother. Still, basting, as tedious as it is, gets you so much closer to a finished quilt.

Mari said...

I have used and love wool batting. I hand-baste, though, and haven't had a problem. I wonder if tossing it in the dryer for a bit would help it settle down? Connecting Threads sells a cotton/wool blend that acts like a really light cotton and quilts wonderfully. I love the Dresden and can't wait to see where it's going!

gayle said...

I have never tried a wool batting (despite the fact that I've raised a lot of sheep!), so I'm interested in everyone's experience with it. I've heard that it's easy to hand-quilt through, but no one has ever said anything about the basting. Thanks!
I love all your projects in motion, and am constantly amazed at how much you get done!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad to hear that you found a little time to play with some of your ORANGE scraps!! I'm not a fan of wool batting. I much prefer the cling of cotton batting to a cotton backing and cotton quilt top!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the look of your scrappy hourglass blocks, Katie! Makes me want to start making some! I've heard wool batting is particularly nice for hand quilting, but have never worked with it. I hope your Bits and Bobs quilts up nicely!

Kate said...

The hourglass blocks are looking good. Hopefully things will slow down a little as the weather gets a bit cooler. You are still getting lots done, it probably doesn't seem much like it though.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...