Saturday, September 30, 2017

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Flimsy, Sandwich, and Quilt

The flimsy of the week is my orphan block creation.  I started with the dresden plate in the middle, pulled scraps and fat quarters to go (including two of my new oranges!), and I was off to the races.  The green with lawn chairs is a little dark, but I decided it was close enough, and it was time to cut into it.  A good pressing was still needed at the corners, as everything is the right size but wonky.  Now to ponder quilting...
 Once the flimsy was finished, the quilting began on my hourglass quilt.  I hoped the quilting would be more apparent in the picture, but I'm quilting on each side of the diagonal lines in both directions.  While I'm wobbly, as always, in places, I love the look of it.  This quilt will be a gift for one of the kid's teachers for Christmas, so I'm feeling good that I've made this much progress.
The quilt of the title is my finished Bits and Bobs quilt.  I wrote its own blog post over here.

I'm pleased my orphan blocks are now a mere handful rather than a box full!  In October, I'll be using up teal blocks for a body pillow cover, and then in October or November my plan is to use up or throw away the rest!

Be sure to visit all the orange inspiration this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

6 comments:

Mari said...

Looks great! I love that you used up some orphan blocks and they turned into this lovely quilt. Here's to emptying the orphanage!

scraphappy said...

Using up the last of anything always feels so good. Great progress.

Cathy said...

Congrats on being so diligent with your scraps! The Dresden-centered quilt is lovely, and the slightly darker green is really perfect!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like how the Dresden orphan block quilt is looking! Those greens and oranges go well together!

Teresa said...

Pretty quilt. I could not see the quilting but I like the sound of what you are doing.

Kate said...

You've made lots of progress on those orphan blocks. I really like your Dresden Plate save. Happy quilting this week. Looks like you are right on track to have another Christmas present all wrapped up.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...