Saturday, September 2, 2017

Full Rainbows!

I was looking for clever rainbow quotes when this one really caught my fancy: And as he spoke of understanding, I looked up and saw the rainbow leap with flames of many colors over me. Black Elk

It was a busy week for rainbows at our house!  Bits and Bobs is officially a pressed flimsy, with backing and batting already waiting.  Wool batting will be in the mix for the first time, and I have a lovely extra wide backing so I don't add any more seams to this seam-strewn quilt.  I'm a little hung up on a quilting pattern, so any and all advice would be considered.  I may just use my walking food and follow the diagonal of the rainbow layout, but is that too simple?


The second rainbow is a trifle more chaotic.  I firmly forbade myself even so much as to attempt a colorwash, so I matched all the blues with the warm colors and subsequently paired off the rest.  Everything is in four patches, and I've begun row assembly.  Once I laid out the blocks, I had five extra, and decided to make three more to fill out another row rather than have leftovers.  I am, after all, on a mission to use up my orphan blocks and pieces this year, not add to them!

I haven't rootled through the aforementioned orphan collection for a month or two, but I know for certain there is an orange and green Dresden plate longing for a home.  After all the other blocks this month, I will thoroughly enjoy problem solving some scraps to join it!

Oranges are sadly lacking in my stash, so I did buy a fat quarter bundle of oranges last year for my Christmas present.  They may need to see the light of day this month!  Let's see what others find this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

15 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Isn't Bits and Bobs just amazing?! I love the color in it. What an accomplishment, Katie! Enjoy quilting it!

Jennifer said...

congrats on the flimsy stage of your bits and bobs! looks great! quilting? I think the diagonal would be just fine- you don't want anything to busy or complicated to draw away from the tiny piecing, or the color washing effect.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Bits and Bobs turned out great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Have fun with that ORANGE and green Dresden this month!! Your rainbow projects are looking good. Sorry to say that I have no suggestions for the quilting of your Bits and Bobs quilt. Hoping some of the others offer some solutions!

Cathy said...

Bits and Bobs is a masterpiece! I think you are on the right track with simple quilting. Can't wait to see it totally finished!

scraphappy said...

Looking forward to seeing that orange fat quarter bundle come out to play. I have had to make an effort to add some to my stash too, and it always adds cheer to my projects. Huge congratulations on Bits and Bobs! It is fabulous. I don't think straight line quilting will be too simple at all. With all that bulk, anything fancy will be too hard to do.

maggie fellow said...

bits and bobs is awesome -wow

Monica said...

Bits and bobs is completely fantastic! What an amazing beauty. Food for thought next year. :D

Vicki W said...

I love the Rainbow quilt! I also think that diagonal straight lines is a perfect way to quilt it.

Sheila said...

What a Beautiful Quilt!!!!!!

a good yarn said...

Bits and Bobs is a fantastic quilt. I like both of your quilts.

Angie said...

Bits and Bobs looks fantastic! I think simple quilting is the way to go. Have fun with your orange fabrics!

Kate said...

Love Bits and Bobs. With all the color, I would think even a simple quilting motif would be perfect. Congrats on all the scrappy progress this month.

Mari said...

Congratulations on Bits and Bobs! It looks terrific!

Cathy said...

Beautiful Bits and Bobs!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...