Saturday, October 20, 2018

Finished Quilt: Stained Glass Stars

 I had ridiculous notions of, after the kids off school for an extra two days, writing my blog post Friday night and having it ready to post this morning.  The reality was a morning full of parent-teacher conferences (five of them!) and an afternoon full of the zoo and little people drama since they were tired.  It's all good, but I'm later than I'd like finally getting to the computer.

Thrilled would describe my feelings about this finished quilt.  I, of course, didn't remember to measure the finished dimensions and there's now a wet floor between me and it (I'm teaching my oldest to steam mop), so here it is.  It is slightly wider than a queen mattress.
 I certainly have a few puckers here and there, as some blocks were definitely slightly larger than 8" finished.  I don't think any of them are particularly visible.  My thread barely held out to finish the quilting, which was delightful.  I didn't want to order and wait for a new spool, so I'd picked out a close companion, but it would have been disappointed to do that.  Instead, here we are.

Can I tell you a not-so-secret?  It wasn't until I finished sewing the stars into rows that I realized they don't all spin the same way.  I thought I put so much effort into keeping the center pinwheel correct, going so far as to pull out an old block every time, but somewhere along the way, I went astray.  Alas.
All fabrics from the front and binding are Vicki Welsh hand dyed fabrics.  If you haven't tried them yet, please do so.  They are so beautiful and Vicki is wonderful to work with.  I miscut my setting triangles and had to order more, but this fabric had been a non-standard order, so she had to do more than the usual work to make it happen, but she did so.  There are a number of blocks that, as I went over them quilting or burying threads, I thought I should order this specific color.  It's a treasure trove of color!

In other news, I've been pinning and stitching on my 16-patches.  My hope had been to have the flimsy in five pieces by this morning, but the week was busy with digging sweet potatoes and days off school.  I have a plan to work on them this morning.  I'm not sure I'll be able to part with this quilt at its completion, but I think I can give it up to the guest bed a few nights a year.
from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S.  Others are sewing with dark green or sage this week.  I suggest checking out the link-up!

11 comments:

Mari said...

What a gorgeous quilt! If you hadn't said, I never would have noticed the directions that they're spinning. They just look great together. And I do love Vicki's fabric, too. Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your Stained Glass Stars is amazing! Don't mention the spinning stars stuff, no one can notice, your quilt is too beautiful!

Kate said...

The Stain Glass Stars turned out beautifully! I don't notice the direction of the spin at all, my eye really likes to look at all those pretty colors. Hope you are able to get in some good stitching time this weekend.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your stars quilt is just beautiful, Katie! I love (and have from the beginning!) the brights against the dark blue. I can see lots of uses for that pretty blue fabric!

Laura said...

I don't mind that the stars spin in different directions...what a glorious night sky that you have created! It sparkles!

Lori said...

Oh Katie I never would have noticed the pinwheels going both ways. Its a beautiful gorgeous quilt! Congratulations!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Congratulations on another beautiful finish!! I like that you included some "LEFT-Handed" spinning stars - even if it was by accident - LOL - ;))

The Joyful Quilter said...

completed quilt AND another quilt top headed for completion? Congrats on a productive week!!

Kathy S. said...

I love the blue background. Another project completed. Congrats!

Julie in GA said...

Your Stained Glass Stars quilt is absolutely breathtaking! It's one of my favorite RSC quilts of all time. I love the bright hand-dyes against the dark background, and I never would have noticed that the blocks go different directions. Congrats on an amazing finish!

Marly said...

Beautiful stained glass stars; absolutely beautiful! I wouldn't be able to part with it either!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...