Wednesday, October 17, 2018

UFO Update: a Finished Quilt

I finished my UFO for October!  Aegean Sea is officially ready for guests at Christmas, down to the washing and drying!  In reality, I completed the quilt last week, but posting about my UFO, unfortunately, didn't happen last week.
 The directions, by Judy Martin, call this a twin quilt, but it's super wide, not quite queen-size, but maybe for a full? A queen-size would have had three more blocks, to make a square quilt, but I had quite enough to do keeping all these different fabrics sorted.  I used blue and green shades from the Color Wheel Solids, as well as a variety of neutrals from both Connecting Threads and other (lost to memory) purchases.  I organized the cutting from light to dark, although I would hazard to complain that the color wheel solids don't really "go" together in order.  They tend to be slightly varied more blue or more green than the previous or next selection.
My backing fabric is seamed down the middle, and is another fabric from Connecting Threads.  I am ever so grateful that it did not bleed when I washed and dried it!  I chose to use the yellow that peeks out from the stars in the quilt.  I think I had one 2.5" strip left, so it was perfect!

For quilting, I initially envisioned something more complicated for the large neutral spaces, but my sewing machine decided to die.  It turns out the brushings were never oiled by the manufacturer, so there was nothing I could do.  I purchased a cheap machine while I was waiting for the first to be repaired, and there's not much throat space in either, so I began to rethink.  I followed the lines of the fabric through the border, but the main part of the quilt is a simple meander.

I have another quilt waiting on more quilting, so I need to wrap this up and move on!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.




3 comments:

Mlada said...

That is so "you" and elegant and pretty. You should be so proud of yourself.

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Congratulations on a finish - it turned out beautifully!! - ;))

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...