Saturday, December 29, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2019

As I currently find myself under the weather (again or still is unclear), I won’t be finding pictures of my 2018 Rainbow Scrap Challenge finishes.  Instead, let’s mull over my plans for 2019.

I find, in the last few years, I've not been particularly good about keeping to the assigned colors due to the specific needs of my quilts.  Next year’s intentions are a little more free, so I think I can follow the terms more accurately.

Currently, my plans include:
for 1.5” warm colors, finishing my nine patches and stars quilt.
for 1.5” cool colors, making 16 patches for a customer quilt.
for all 2" scraps, making half square triangles for an insane quilt, the name of which currently escapes me, but is full of triangles!
for 2.5” scraps, I’d like to make Lori Holt’s Great Granny Squared.
for my pile of ombré fabrics, I’m going to make a butterfly quilt.
for my hand dyed fabrics, I think I’ll join Soscrappy’s Tiny Tuesday blocks.

I have, for too many years, found myself unable to participate in any "new" projects that appear from time to time, as I have my year too fully planned ere it begins.  I am going to leave my planning open to a few quilt-a-longs or other nonsense.  Of course, since I started this blog post a month or more ago, I’ve already added three projects.  Since my 1.5” plans are small and my 2” plans can stretch over many years, I can push these aside for other projects as they arise.

I wish my favorite hobbies/interests overlapped a little more conveniently.  I quilt daily, love to can/make at home, garden, and take part in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, including making materials.  I also have a stack of books, generally about the aforementioned topics, next to my chair that needs to be read.  It is hard to choose how to prioritize time, and I hope to do a better job in 2019.  Moderation is an important virtue to cultivate!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

Annette Mandel said...

Is the insane one the Garden Mosaic?
Leaving time free is a great plan!

Jennifer said...

glad to see you'll be joining along again in both the RSC19 and the UFO challenge. (but really: NO ufos?) haha! i'm firming up my plans for RSC19, and i still have to scrounge around for the UFO challenge. i'm sure i'll come up with something. it's nice to have company and familiar faces along the way!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Here's to "remaining open to a few quilt-a-longs or other nonsense" in 2019!! Planning is good. Over-planning is a drag. Happy quilting!!

scraphappy said...

Lots of fun plans for the new year. Pondering life seems like a great way to pass the time until you feel better. Hopefully by then you will be able to get started on some of those plans.

Kate said...

Good luck with all your 2019 projects. Looking forward to seeing your adventures in scraps. Balance is such a hard thing to achieve, I think we all continually have to strive to work that out. Hope you are feeling better.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...