Saturday, November 16, 2019

Fabric Allsorts

I am so pleased that, this week, I finished the binding and washing of my Tiny Tuesday Sampler.  Thank you, Angela, for organizing the sampler!  One of the great things about making this quilt with Vicki’s fabric is knowing the fabrics won’t bleed.  The one and only spot I found, faint as it is, was next to the red heart block I made out of commercial fabric and never remade.  This quilt is now destined to sit on our chair and a half, for kids to snuggle under when watching movies.

The next joy of the week is completing the final Lepidoptera block.  A minor mishap was easy to cover up.  I even spread out the blocks on the storage room floor so I could get a feel for the final quilt.  While I have little intention of repeating this quilt any time soon, the end result compensates for all frustration!


Since the binding wrapped up Monday and the Lepidoptera blocks are intense enough to need frequent breaks, I worked on the first of my two flimsies made from this year’s Great Granny Squares blocks.  I have the binding picked out, the backing fabric cut, and most of the top pieced together.  I’m looking forward to having it together!  (I did the winter rearranging of furniture, which I should not have done alone, so now my design wall will have computer screens in it!  We have no TV, so I had to adjust for furniture to see the computer while not blocking the stove so we can use it)

As I’ve been assembling quilts from Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks, I realized I don’t love to sew sashing.  Of course, three quilts with sashing are in the queue!  Next year, I will choose blocks that can be pieced without sashing.

Friday, I spent some time in front of the stove pondering next year’s plan.  I wish I knew that my healer would resolve itself by next year, but that’s still a mass of question marks.  Given the uncertainty, I’m trying to keep my plans simple enough that I won’t “fall behind” if I’m unwell or doctor’s visits hold me up.  (I do see a new doctor next week, so positive thoughts and prayers would be most appreciated.)

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Please visit the other rainbow scrappers to be inspired!

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hope you get answers to your medical issues in the upcoming year and can get back on track. It is nice that you can still accomplish much in your sewing room and love your quilts.

Vicki W said...

I absolutely love the Tiny Tuesday quilt. It's so happy! Every time I see your Lepidoptera I think that I need to make one too. I do hope that the new doctor works out for you.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think you get the prize for first Tiny Tuesday finish, Katie, and it's beautiful! Lepidoptera is amazing, too. Wishing you lots of good health and success with the new doctor!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Spectacular progress, Katie!! Best of luck with the new doctor. Smart thinking on keeping next year's RSC plan on the simple side!

Mari said...

Congratulations! Your tiny blocks look so happy together. I love the butterflies, too. That's going to be a spectacular quilt. I haven't started thinking about next year yet, but somehow I always end up too ambitious. Let us know what you decide!

Sandy Panagos said...

You have accomplished a lot. Well done. That tiny Tuesday quilt looks perfect for snuggling.

Louise said...

Oh, I love your Tiny Tuesday! The variegated sashing is so, so great and your quilting turned out fabulous. What a super idea to do each color with a different motif! Congratulations on a wonderful finish :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Sending lots of positive thoughts to you!
So many lovely projects to lift your spirits... love your Tiny Tuesday quilt... great finish!

Jennifer said...

i've been absent from posting, but still occasionally looking... TT and moths: FANTASTIC!!!

Susie H said...

Both your quilts look wonderful! Prayers forthcoming for your next doctor visit!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...