Saturday, December 21, 2019

Garden Mosaic: Insanity

I began wrapping gifts, realized I had gifts for all the teachers but one, and hatched a crazy idea.  What if I could finish my Garden Mosaic quilt by Thursday night?

Then Monday was a snow day, and I didn’t sew at all.  Thursday, my email was hacked, BJ screamed for an hour, and at least 10 other incidents sidelined me, but I managed to finish the flimsy, baste it, quilt it, sew on one side of the binding and... the race was on.  Finally, about 8:30 pm, I finished the binding, undid all the pins, and threw it in the wash.  I repeatedly considered giving up, but it was for JoJo’s teacher and he would have been so disappointed if he didn’t have a gift to take also.  And it was the first teacher quilt this year not to bleed like a stuck pig.

Whew.

I love it.

Can you see the one block turned the wrong direction?  And it’s square... there’s nowhere to hang it for a straight-on photo.

I didn’t make a full-size Garden Mosaic quilt, as that would have finished 96” square.  My slightly scaled down version is 72” square.  I’m very, very pleased with it.  I have enough blocks for another quilt, maybe more baby quilt sized, and I plan to quilt it in straight lines.  The next one will be full of darker blocks instead of these brighter blocks.

My oldest gave her teacher a quilt and reported she cried with happiness.  This is what keeps me making quilts for teachers.  Last year, one of my kids told me their teacher said they were always jealous of the other teachers who received quilts.  I like to bring happiness!

I hope to browse all the other rainbow projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

Kate said...

I'm so sorry for the bad week, but congrats on the finish. It's a gorgeous quilt! Hopefully things will slow down and line out so you can have a very happy holiday. Merry Christmas!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow you are amazing. To be able to finish a quilt in one day is daunting to me, and to make it under those circumstances is over the top. This is a beautiful quilt and I can easily see why the teacher was so happy. I would have had a hard time giving away a quilt like that. (I've made a good start to my Garden Mosaic quilt but I have a long ways to go. I was just looking at my end of the year post last year where I mentioned starting it, so it was motivating to see a finished one right after that.)

Vicki W said...

You are a miracle worker! The quilt is beautiful!

Kat Scribner said...

Ooooohhhh it makes me dizzy. It's GORGEOUS !

MissPat said...

Oh, my goodness. Most people give the teacher a coffee mug full of candy. You go over the top. Literally. Very thoughtful and generous. Merry Christmas.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Such a lovely gift, the teacher is going to be so thrilled. Happy Stitching!

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's spectacular, Katie!! What a wonderful gift for JoJo's teacher. She's a VERY lucky woman!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Katie - that quilt is AWESOME!! And to be able to get it together in such a short time is simply amazing!! I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and Very Happy New Year - ;))

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Katie, that is a gorgeous quilt! You are just amazing to finish it like you did! I know your kids' teachers really appreciate those gifts you give them - I was a teacher before I retired and handmade gifts like that are very few. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Susie H said...

What an amazing story and amazing gift! You are my idol!!! Lol! I would never have been able to manage all that within the deadline. I think that is a very nice reward for your kids' teachers. No wonder that teacher has been jealous all those previous years.

Janice said...

Congratulations on meeting so many goals this year. That was a mammoth effort to complete the quilt. There’s nothing like a deadline to spur us on. Have a great 2020. I hope you are very productive again.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...