Friday, January 10, 2020

Finished Quilt: Lepidoptera

I finished this smashing quilt on January 1, but I’ve had trouble getting a pleasing picture.  I know what will happen if I wait too long; I’ll never write the post!

Once our winter storm departs, I will get a picture that doesn’t have the night filter!

Here goes...

The pattern is Lepidoptera by Elizabeth Hartman.  It took me a bit to wrap my mind around a construction method that wasn’t up and down after each seam, but I made it in the end.  Of course, I made a few... pattern deviations, cutting a few butterflies with light and dark reversed, and one butterfly with a wing part rotated 180 degrees.

The butterflies are cut from a half-yard stack of Ombré Confetti (the original line) by V and Co.  The center butterfly required two colors and even so, not much was left!  The background is a glow in the dark Fairy Frost by Michael Miller.

I made this as part of my participation in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in 2019.  This was helpful as I didn’t get overwhelmed making all the butterflies in a row, but I also didn’t have a chance to just give up.

The backing is a lovely gray blue butterfly batik.  I quilted with white thread in loops and butterflies and bound it in white.

I’ll be tucking it away for my oldest to take to college,

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty, I love it!!

Julierose said...

Amazing quilt--just simply lovely great work on this one,,smart to link it to RSC too...hugs, Julierose

Vicki W said...

It's fabulous!

Julie in GA said...

It was so much fun to watch these blocks getting made throughout all of last year, and the final product is absolutely fantastic! Love it!💗

Kate said...

Wow! It's gorgeous! Definitely worth the ups and downs in the construction.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...